DRIVE SHAFT QUESTION

Bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad bad...

You will bottom the shaft out, it will break your transfer case into a couple peices.

Do you know why this happen? I put another transfer case 231. How much separation should it be on there?

I have no idea. They should have been the same. The only thing that would jump out at me was if the front yokes on the tcases were different. But AFAIK, they're all the same.

It should be more like 3" exposed, off the top of my head... I'd have to measure a shaft to really tell you (it depends on the shaft too - some have more splining and will show a little more, some less, but not by too much).

I have no idea. They should have been the same. The only thing that would jump out at me was if the front yokes on the tcases were different. But AFAIK, they're all the same.

It should be more like 3" exposed, off the top of my head... I'd have to measure a shaft to really tell you (it depends on the shaft too - some have more splining and will show a little more, some less, but not by too much).

I forgot to mention that the transfer case has a 1 1/2¨ - 2¨ drop blocks, same that were used on the old transfer that I had.

I would pull the drop tc blocks out and see how that fits you and then you may need to readjust the rear shaft. Which how does the rear look? Can you take a pic of that?

OK! I will take a picture of the rear, but don´t you think the angle of the front shaft is going to be bad if I take the drop blocks off? by the way the rear looks more inside to the transfer than before too.

Thanks!

you have a different front output yoke than the old t-case.

what's the t-case out of?

that's the ONLY thing that would change length like that.

It is of a 89'-90' cherokee, I don't know exactly.

Do you know if I take off the drop block it would be OK with the angle of the shaft(front and rear).? I use my truck for climbing dunes and some times racing while climbing dunes. :yes:

You definitely need to take the drop out of it. That shaft is compressed way to far and removing the drop will pull it out a little bit. These trucks don't need the drop in them as the wheel base is plenty long to support the angle.

I have seen XJs have driveline vibes that were fixed with a drop kit, but it is really rare and I haven't heard of anyone with an MJ needing it.

You definitely need to take the drop out of it. That shaft is compressed way to far and removing the drop will pull it out a little bit. These trucks don't need the drop in them as the wheel base is plenty long to support the angle.

I have seen XJs have driveline vibes that were fixed with a drop kit, but it is really rare and I haven't heard of anyone with an MJ needing it.

oK! I'm going to take it off, but how many of 231 tranfer case are?

because the old one used to have more separation on front and back shafts.

I just take off the drop blocks and now I have this angle, it is OK the separation and the angle of both shaft? what is the maximum separation for the front shaft and the rear!(separation from the Tcase of the rear shaft)?????????? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

angleandseparationrj3.jpg

yokeanglehu0.jpg

frontviewanglezv9.jpg

yoketraserakt1.jpg

vistaflechatraserauo5.jpg

I just take off the drop blocks and now I have this angle, it is OK the separation and the angle of both shaft? what is the maximum separation for the front shaft and the rear!(separation from the Tcase of the rear shaft)?????????? :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

angleandseparationrj3.jpg

yokeanglehu0.jpg

frontviewanglezv9.jpg

yoketraserakt1.jpg

vistaflechatraserauo5.jpg

yoketraserakt1.jpg

This is bad. Now I understand why someone put the drop in it...because they didn't want to put the correct rear shaft it in. I apologize, but I ASSumed that it had the proper shaft in the rear. Now you are left with a choice...but putting the drop back in should not be one of them. If you put it back in, you need to shorten the front shaft. If you leave it out, you need to lengthen the rear shaft before it falls out of the t-case and all your fluid runs out on the ground.

Gotta love it when people try to short cut things... :shake:

OH...BTW...the front shaft looks fine now :thumbsup:

yoketraserakt1.jpg

This is bad. Now I understand why someone put the drop in it...because they didn't want to put the correct rear shaft it in. I apologize, but I ASSumed that it had the proper shaft in the rear. Now you are left with a choice...but putting the drop back in should not be one of them. If you put it back in, you need to shorten the front shaft. If you leave it out, you need to lengthen the rear shaft before it falls out of the t-case and all your fluid runs out on the ground.

Gotta love it when people try to short cut things... :shake:

OH...BTW...the front shaft looks fine now :thumbsup:

I ran mine like that for a while, then I ran a YJ yoke and payed no never mine to it untill I lifted it more then just went and got my drive shaft lengthen and it cost around $100 bucks. A new YJ yoke cost around $75, so which ever you want to do and what you have in store for the rig.

I ran mine like that for a while, then I ran a YJ yoke and payed no never mine to it untill I lifted it more then just went and got my drive shaft lengthen and it cost around $100 bucks. A new YJ yoke cost around $75, so which ever you want to do and what you have in store for the rig.