DRIVE SHAFT QUESTION

yoketraserakt1.jpg

This is bad. Now I understand why someone put the drop in it...because they didn't want to put the correct rear shaft it in. I apologize, but I ASSumed that it had the proper shaft in the rear. Now you are left with a choice...but putting the drop back in should not be one of them. If you put it back in, you need to shorten the front shaft. If you leave it out, you need to lengthen the rear shaft before it falls out of the t-case and all your fluid runs out on the ground.

Gotta love it when people try to short cut things... :shake:

OH...BTW...the front shaft looks fine now :thumbsup:

I bought it this way and I'm trying to fix it.

thanks!

yoketraserakt1.jpg

This is bad. Now I understand why someone put the drop in it...because they didn't want to put the correct rear shaft it in. I apologize, but I ASSumed that it had the proper shaft in the rear. Now you are left with a choice...but putting the drop back in should not be one of them. If you put it back in, you need to shorten the front shaft. If you leave it out, you need to lengthen the rear shaft before it falls out of the t-case and all your fluid runs out on the ground.

Gotta love it when people try to short cut things... :shake:

OH...BTW...the front shaft looks fine now :thumbsup:

I bought it this way and I'm trying to fix it.

thanks!

Which engine/trans do you have GaruMJ?

I have the 4.0 engine with an auto trans, I think is the AW4 it has overdrive.

what do you think about this problem?

thanks!

A 4.0L/stick/shortbed MJ will have a rear shaft about one inch longer than yours and would make a great fix. :thumbsup:

Which engine/trans do you have GaruMJ?

I have the 4.0 engine with an auto trans, I think is the AW4 it has overdrive.

what do you think about this problem?

thanks!

A 4.0L/stick/shortbed MJ will have a rear shaft about one inch longer than yours and would make a great fix. :thumbsup:

Thanks I'm going to look for one, what do you think about the front drive shaft angle on the Tcase and the rear shaft angle it will be fine if I just change the shaft for a longer one.

Thanks I'm going to look for one, what do you think about the front drive shaft angle on the Tcase and the rear shaft angle it will be fine if I just change the shaft for a longer one.

The front drive shaft with the double cardan joint is supposed to be pretty much straight on the bottom u-joint. It looks fine.

Rear drive shaft the upper and lower u-joint angles are supposed to be equal. In other words, the t-case output and the differential pinion shaft are supposed to be parallel.

In other words, the t-case output and the differential pinion shaft are supposed to be parallel.
I have never heard that :hmm:

You will likely get away with that theory with a 3" lift, but with the larger lifts there is no way to keep the pinion down like that...even with a CV style shaft. :dunno:

In other words, the t-case output and the differential pinion shaft are supposed to be parallel.
I have never heard that :hmm:

You will likely get away with that theory with a 3" lift, but with the larger lifts there is no way to keep the pinion down like that...even with a CV style shaft. :dunno:

Tom Woods has some excellent (and simple) diagrams on how shafts are supposed to be aligned...

http://www.4xshaft.com/index.html

:idea: AHHHH...these explain it. I have always used CV shafts any time I have lifted a vehicle so I have always adjusted the pinion angle. With little or no lift and a standard two u-joint shaft...they stay on the same plain :thumbsup:

cv_angle.gif

2joint_angle.gif