Wheel spacers?

I have 1.25" wheels spacers/ adapters to get to 5x5 bolt pattern. I do not have any lift and i have 265/75 on 16s

My rims are 5.25" backspaced. But i have the spacers so comes out to 4.5 backspacing and i have no rubbing problems check my mj project page.

If you Get wheel spacers make sure they are Hub centric. Mine are not i am aware of everything but i check mine often and have them mounted correct. AND i couldnt find them to adapt my bolt pattern.

And if money would allow it i would have hub centric ones. its worth the money and is not even question

Instead of spacers, you can either shim the steering stops or replace your stock LCA's with either aftermarket or modified WJ LCA's. The WJ arms are boxed and curved away from the tire. I ran the WJ arms on my 93 ZJ with 3" lift and 31x10.5. No rub and stronger arms.

Wheel spacers move the centerline of the wheel out and will add to stress on the wheel bearings. If you wheel alot or live with lots of pothole roads, you may find them wearing out quickly.

Spacers can be expensive, at least for the good ones and even then most are NOT DOT, that means if wever something bad happened and your spacers are somehow related, YOU and only YOU will be at fault.... Something to consider, you know lawers today.

Any how, you do have other options, look for a set of used rims with less back spacing!!! Replace the LCA's with WJ arms as outlined here by Pete.

good luck,

CW

Spacers are NOT a good thing to do. :shake:

Either get the LCA's that have been suggested or get some wheels with proper back spacing for those tires. :thumbsup:

IMHO, Good Quality Spacers (Spidertrax), which are properly installed and properly maintained are just fine...

I've had ZERO problems with my Spidertrax Spacers on my TJ... I check the Torque on the bolts every couple of months, and have no problems. Sure not "cheap", but cheaper than a set of new rims (that I actually liked)...

I would say do whatever works for you...

SW2

wheel spacers or less backspacing put the same amount of stress on the unit bearing.

this is because both methods are moving the wheel centerline outward from factory

adding additional stress. either way is ok as long as the spacers used are good quality

and installed properly. hubcentric spacers are the best way to go if you have the money.

Hey Pete, ya got a spare set of those sittin around?

Yeah right. Lately it's been rough finding Jeeps in the local pully-our-parts, let alone something as new as a WJ. :( I got those a couple years ago off of Ebay of all places and installed them on my 90 (0 lift and 31s). I would start with car-part.com and search locally for WJ-specific parts like the rear axle assembly, then call up the places and ask if the lower control arms are still there. Or pay attention to Jeep sites that have WJ owners. They might throw them up in the classifieds after installing a lift. Although you might want to place an ad in the wanted section of those sites as a lot of people just throw stock parts away without thinking.

Well...I haven't seen any problems occur from spacers personally (only heard stories), but I have worked at two different shops that would not touch a vehicle if the needed repair required removal of a wheel that had a spacer on it because of the liability. I know there are a lot of other shops out there that are the same. That's enough to tell me that they are not a smart thing to do no matter how much you pay or how they are made.

My thoughts here lean more to the legality. I am fairly certain they will holfd up fine if basic common sence is adheared to.

but what if something happened to your rig that was wheel related. Somehow the bottom dwelling lawer for the poor sumbitch you hit found out you had these spacers. He could railroad you into a very bad place. You would not have a leg to stand on and very likely even your insurance co would leave you high and dry. You don't need something ike that hanging over your head for the rest of your life.

Use them for off road or be prepaired to face the reprucussions of your actions.

Sorry for sounding like a Dad, Its early and haven't had any beer yet to mello me out... I'll be better and less responsable in a couple hours. :brows: :D

CW

Hey Pete, ya got a spare set of those sittin around?

Yeah right. Lately it's been rough finding Jeeps in the local pully-our-parts, let alone something as new as a WJ. :( I got those a couple years ago off of Ebay of all places and installed them on my 90 (0 lift and 31s). I would start with car-part.com and search locally for WJ-specific parts like the rear axle assembly, then call up the places and ask if the lower control arms are still there. Or pay attention to Jeep sites that have WJ owners. They might throw them up in the classifieds after installing a lift. Although you might want to place an ad in the wanted section of those sites as a lot of people just throw stock parts away without thinking.

I sold an extra pair on E bay a few years back :fool: . Funny if you bought 'em from me, huh?

Get some AMC car 2wd 15" rims (tough to find except on Matadors) Also the same as many Chryslers. I'm going the other way on my '82 Spirit. I'm putting an XJ D35 diff in (gotta love 1 piece axles!) and 15" XJ rims will tuck the tires back under the fender (axle is almost 3" wider at the WMS)