HO valve cover on a Renix 4.0 UPDATE

I still have yet to get it out on a highway run, but have been driving it back and forth to the store and et cetera for the last couple days.....so far, not a drop of oil in the airbox :D

amsee, no I didn't swap the head bolts. It centered itself up well with the valve cover bolts, and I figured it really shouldn't go anywhere since it has a steel core. Hope I'm right on that ;)

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE--

Sorry it's taken so long to report, but the swap seems to have done the trick. Not sure if it's the larger vaccuum line, the baffle tray versus the "towers", or a combination of both, but I pulled the air cleaner this weekend and there was only a tiny bit of oil on it that I think was just residual oil in the fresh air line (I cleaned it as best I could but I think there was still some inside of it). I drove the MJ hard all day on Friday all day, and also got it out on the interstate for about 20 miles or so. Beforehand, I would have had about a cup of oil in the airbox, leaking out the bottom and down the framerail, giving me a free undercoating job.

I'm quite pleased with the outcome of this mod, and would recommend it. Total cost was $6 for the VC from the 'yard, some elbow grease to clean it up, and about $30 for the new gasket. I either got new vac tubing along with the VC or reused my existing stuff.

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I hate to bump this over something so trivial, but I spent a fair amount of time at the chain parts stores in my area this weekend and came up empty on finding what you show below:

Had to change the nipple fitting on the manifold for the larger vacuum tube:

Image Not Found

Do you happen to have any info about this fitting? Do you know the threading, and/or the size(s) on either end?

Thank you!

Do you happen to have any info about this fitting? Do you know the threading, and/or the size(s) on either end?

Thank you!

It's a 3/8 NPT to 3/8" tubing adapter. Lowes has them in their pneumatic tubing section. But you're better off pulling the larger hoses and adapter from a donor as the new hoses are expensive from the stealer.

i did this swap as well.it has all but eliminated my blowby in the breather box.the downside is that i'll have to oil my k&n filter now instead of the engine doing it for me.i think i spent about $20 for a cover and used a fitting i had in my tool box and a can of therightstuff sealant.money well spent.

It's got the same threads as the smaller one. I just pulled it off the manifold from the XJ that I got the valve cover from in the junkyard.
It's a 3/8 NPT to 3/8" tubing adapter. Lowes has them in their pneumatic tubing section. But you're better off pulling the larger hoses and adapter from a donor as the new hoses are expensive from the stealer.

Thanks to you both.

• 5 weeks later...

So Jeff,

How's this holding up? I'm getting ready here soon for a valve cover and have been considering this. Did you just plug the rest of the vacuum lines in the front?

:cheers:

working out great. Yeah, I just capped off all the other vac lines. The only vac I'm running is for the fuel pressure reg, MAP, brake booster, and a line to the resivoir that used to be in front clip (but mine's now where the washer fluid resivoir used to be).

Jeff

working out great. Yeah, I just capped off all the other vac lines. The only vac I'm running is for the fuel pressure reg, MAP, brake booster, and a line to the resivoir that used to be in front clip (but mine's now where the washer fluid resivoir used to be).

Jeff

If you get bored one day, might you post a pic of your engine compartment and use MS Paint or something to mark all of the routing for your lines?

I am a total novice at that stuff, and I am about to add an air tube, TB spacer, and 97+ VC at the same time.

By the way- I finally grabbed the right size breather nipple. Third time was the charm!

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bump this thread but but when it comes to motor work i need things really planned out and dumbed down. could somebody give me a parts list and kinda of a detailed play by play for doing this. i think i could almost ring out a whole quart of oil from my 87' 5 speed 4.0's air filter. thanx in advance guys. - cody

• 2 weeks later...
I hate to bump this thread but but when it comes to motor work i need things really planned out and dumbed down. could somebody give me a parts list and kinda of a detailed play by play for doing this. i think i could almost ring out a whole quart of oil from my 87' 5 speed 4.0's air filter. thanx in advance guys. - cody

Not to sound smart (that is not my intention), but all that you need is a 97+ valve cover (including all of the associated hoses and fittings that you can grab), the bolts that hold the VC to the head, and a new permatex (or other reusable) valve cover gasket. If you follow this thread from the beginning, you can see that all that you have to do is disconnect the hoses, pull the stock VC, clean off the mating surface, replace the gasket, replace the VC, then reconnect the hoses. I would recommend that you also clean the airbox or take this opportunity to switch to an aftermarket air tube. Some of the hoses on the 97+ VC are larger than those on earlier models, which is why you need to grab the nipple fittings (like the one that I reference at the top of this page).

• 3 years later...