block heater and also a rino liner question?

ok i just got a comanche and i have to kinda winterize it so i don't wreck it and I'm doing my block heater right now what is the size of the block heater like i bought one and its 4.5cm and my engine's frost plug when i measured it is 5cm any one know where the block heater is supposta be located on the engine?

how much are rino bed liners sprayed in anyone have one on there truck?

ok i just got a comanche and i have to kinda winterize it so i don't wreck it and I'm doing my block heater right now what is the size of the block heater like i bought one and its 4.5cm and my engine's frost plug when i measured it is 5cm any one know where the block heater is supposta be located on the engine?

how much are rino bed liners sprayed in anyone have one on there truck?

Behold...a Ziebart-applied Rhino spray-on bedliner after 5 years...faded and peeling!

Good luck and I hope you experience better Rhino results than I...

V/R

:beerhead:

Paul

The factory block heater goes into either the front or the #2 freeze plug hole on the left (driver's side) of the block. Did you buy yours from Jeep? I retrofitted an '88 XJ 4.0L with a new one from the dealer and it went right in with no problems.

I also have peeling Rhino liner (on my truck's rockers). I've seen other guys' trucks that have Rhino and it seems to be holding up, so I'm guessing there's going to be some variation due to the installer. :dunno:

Ziebart should be an honorable installer. They failed my minimal expectations. You witnessed the image that I posted. You be the judge...

V/R

:beerhead:

Paul

I would advise taking the block heater back and getting the one from the dealer.

I had Line-X done in mine. Had a bit of a problem with it peeling paint off on the outside of the bed when they removed the tape, but the liner is great. It was about $400...

I would advise taking the block heater back and getting the one from the dealer.

I had Line-X done in mine. Had a bit of a problem with it peeling paint off on the outside of the bed when they removed the tape, but the liner is great. It was about $400...

HKB3 and Meatgrinder, I was going to mention Brett's woes if he had not posted up. Brett, IIRC, you had your liner done not too long after your paint job and you felt that maybe the paint had not cured 100%. Also, because I was very interested your thread at the time because I was hoping to paint and line soon (still haven't done it though), the discussion in your thread was that it would be advisable to do the liner first and paint second to avoid this potential problem. I believe if you are not planning on going "over the rail" like Brett has done, the paint guys generally are not too happy about having to tape off the bed. Just some food for thought..........

Yes...the liner was done about 7 months after the paint, so it was ASSumed that maybe it was still too new to stand up to the tape job. If you look at the invoice from Line-X, it very clearly states that paint damage is possible from the tape on any vehicle though regardless of the age of the paint. It's one of those risks you take and something that is "possible", but doesn't happen often.

For block heaters, there's a couple options that each have their merit.

A) Freeze plug replacement. OEM style, like what you bought. I believe you have the wrong one (normal parts store screwup). Northland probably won't help you much more than chieftan, NAPA or Lordco can. Just go in and ask for a block heater, then ask for a freeze plug for the same truck. If they are the same dimensions, you probably found the right block heater.

B) In-line hose ones. They require you to cut a rad hose (lower or upper), and are then installed with a couple hose clamps. They aren't as effective.

C) Pressure bottle heater, or rad cap heater. I've seen them a couple times. With a closed system one would work good. A guy could also wrap a battery blanket (basically a heating pad for the battery) over the pressure bottle.

D) Magnetic stick-on heater. I've never used them, princess auto sells them, but I've seen them stuck to the oil pan on equipment before. I think they would work best on an oil pan, providing it was steel.

Another thing that is really nice is a 'buddy heater'. It's just a small electric heater that a guy can throw in the cab. You can put one under the hood too - but I'd not do any sort of permanent install. We use 'em in the helicopters all the time, 1 or 2 in the cabin, 1 or 2 on the engine deck, and 1 on the tranny deck, and it keeps everything toasty warm.