Cost for Mounting/Balancing

summerinmaine

I've got a set of ProComps that I want on my rig. Discount Tire quoted me ~$21 each, $85 total.

Does this seem reasonable? Any other chain store/SD local place to try? Anyone ever try Costco?

I could mount myself, but balancing?

Maybe I should mount them by hand, and then just drive the rig over for balancing.

But at least you don't call yourselves "Discount Dealership" right? :D

Only if it's me selling to a CC member... :brows: jamminz.gif :cheers:

Cool. How much to mount and balance my tires then? Two-way shipping is on you, of course. :D :clapping:

:rotf:

Here in semi rural Ohio, tire places charge between $12-$14.

If you can mount the tires yourself, use beads (air soft BBs work pretty good, or there are companies that make beads specifically for this purpose) inside your tires to dynamically balance themselves as you drive.

Pop on side onto tire, dump in a bunch of beads, pop other side on, inflate.

If you can mount the tires yourself, use beads (air soft BBs work pretty good, or there are companies that make beads specifically for this purpose) inside your tires to dynamically balance themselves as you drive.

Pop on side onto tire, dump in a bunch of beads, pop other side on, inflate.

I've heard of that, but never tried it. I guess you need to guesstimate the amount of beads per tire, as a badly out-of-balance tire would need more, right? Can't have too many, but you might have too few?

just had some new to me wheels and tires mounted and balanced at a local tire store for $40.

usually the more expensive prices are when they are mounting low profile tires on rims 17" and larger because of the extra time it takes to get the short @$$ sidewall to flex enough to get on the rim and because of the higher risk of rim damage on such wheels. i run 235/45/17s on my car and most places quoted me $20+ to mount and balance. one place had scaled pricing, the bigger the rim, the more $$. i think 22s were like $40+ PER wheel.

But at least you don't call yourselves "Discount Dealership" right? :D

Only if it's me selling to a CC member... :brows: jamminz.gif :cheers:

Cool. How much to mount and balance my tires then? Two-way shipping is on you, of course. :D :clapping:

:rotf:

I knew after I posted that I should have added "parts" in there after "selling"... :clapping:

I had 5 tires mounted and balanced (plus 4 disposals) for the Libby for under 50 bucks at Walmart.

And mine won't include disposals, as the rims currently have a set of BFG Long Trail Radial tires. Good tread, but getting old and so I'm swapping for fresh ProComps.

I'll try to sell the BFGs on CL.

Now that I think of it, I should have said "cost to dismount/mount/balance." :D

I just got back from the cesspool called Walmart and I, like I bet all of you, used the tire center to enter and exit. I looked at their sign and saw they charge $7.50 a tire just for balance. I didnt really check the price for all three, dis-m, mount, bal.

I had 5 tires mounted and balanced (plus 4 disposals) for the Libby for under 50 bucks at Walmart.

I went to Walmart once. I had 2 snow tires to put on the rear of my F100 a few years back. At 7pm I found out we were supposed to get 4" overnight, and they were the only place that was still open.

Drove over there, parked the truck. Guy went outside to pull my truck in (after market floor shifter on a 3 speed standard), and 20 minutes later came in to tell me something was wrong, it wouldn't go into gear.

I get in, and he somehow pulled the shifter linkage out of the engagement points on the transmission. So I spent 15 minutes on my back under the truck in 2" of rain water when it was 35 degrees out. Not happy at all. As I back out of the spot I realize it was up against the picnic table in front of the truck. I know I didn't park up against it, so I checked and sure enough: my license plate is mangled. So before the idiot pulled the linkage out he took off forward, assuming he had it in reverse.

So I pull my truck in, and ask to speak to the manager. While waiting for the manager to show up the idiot takes my rear wheels off, puts the first on on the tire machine and attempts to pop the bead without releasing the pressure first. I knock on the glass to get his attention, he waves to me and ignores me. Tried 3 more times to blow the tire up in his face before he realized his mistake.

The manager arrives, and I point out that idiot should not be working unsupervised as he is clearly not qualified. I also explain the mechanical trouble he caused on my truck (now fixed) and the damage to my license plate. He said he'd check the security camera footage, but told me not to expect too much as the lighting is not the best and I had no proof.

So I go walking around the store to try and relax a bit, as I'm now thoroughly pissed, and get back to the tire dept. 30 minutes later. There's a lady at the counter now, so I pay. As soon as I get my receipt, idiot walks in and tells me he's done.

As I'm about to get in, I notice 5 lug nuts sitting on the floor, right beside my ds rear wheel. I ask him to be sure: "You're all finished?"

"Yup!"

"THEN WHY THE F*CK ARE MY LUG NUTS ON THE FLOOR???!!!"

"oh..."

I will never have Walmart do anything to any of my vehicles again.

i used to work at the tire shop at costco it was really good. i remember getting in tires that were done at canadian tire and walmart and they used never seize and stuff on the lock nuts which is stupid and they never torqued them properly and costco uses nitrogen and when i worked there this summer i think it was 9 bucks a tire that was canadian.

My cousin attends a Auto mechanic school and he hears so many stories about kids who work in places like walmart and other small garages around here. He told me he knew a kid who was changing the oil on this ladies car at walmart and he filled the block completely full. :eek:

Honestly that's why i try not to support The Empire and I shop other places, because i truly believe one day walmart will take over the world! :bowdown:

Whats the benefits of using nitrogen?

Supposed to preserve the inside of the tire, by eliminating the reactive O2, among other benefits.

more consistent pressure, less dryrot etc., but i've read the nitrogen costs next to nothing and it's a huge moneymaker for those that charge for it. some places don't charge for it if you buy tires from them, even if you need to refill later on etc.

i think the same critic said they understood charging something for the service, but that it shouldn't be more than $2-3/tire and anything much more than that he felt the cost far outweighed the benefits

Whats the benefits of using nitrogen?

Supposed to preserve the inside of the tire, by eliminating the reactive O2, among other benefits.

more consistent pressure, less dryrot etc., but i've read the nitrogen costs next to nothing and it's a huge moneymaker for those that charge for it. some places don't charge for it if you buy tires from them, even if you need to refill later on etc.

i think the same critic said they understood charging something for the service, but that it shouldn't be more than $2-3/tire and anything much more than that he felt the cost far outweighed the benefits

And even at that, you have to wonder how many tires are retired from use due to dry rot, rather than worn out treads or other structural problems?

I've even heard the claim that N2-filled tires are safer, cause they don't have O2 to burn in case of a fire! Given the ready supply of O2 in the atmosphere, the last thing I'm gonna worry about in case of a fire is whether my tires will be supplying any of the O2. :yes: