ABS in a manche

It's a very large job to put ABS into a MJ. You need the tone rings on the axles, all the axle stuff. So your better off just buying ABS equipped axles and swapping in. Than you need the pump and all electric stuff. Change out the bolster to a ABS one etc. Unfortunately (for those of use who already have ABS on the XJ/MJ) the system is less than desirable. The ABS system is known to have issues, and with several recalls on the systems and them still not functioning correctly many guys will just disconnect the pump and run without the ABS. 9 times out of 10 the system works better without the ABS running than it does with it running.

Personally I can't see any major benefit to having the ABS in your MJ, and it's not going to be a cheap process to put it in. Not worth the headache/cost if you ask me.

Definitely not worth it. There were XJ's that came with it, but you can't find a lot of parts for them any more and the ones that you can find are insanely expensive. I looked up a replacement ABS pump/controller for one a couple months ago and it was over $2000 :eek:

Yeah, that mod is on my list as well. The reason I wanted ABS is just b/c of the icy roads in winter. Better brakes won't help with that.

Your honestly better off adapting the ABS system from a 97+ to be front wheel ABS only for a MJ than trying to source the model year correct parts for the ABS.

I once had a 2wd isuzu rodeo - with rear abs only........that was a crock.

Personally I hate ABS, but I wish I had it for my wife. However, especially in a pickup, the rear is what's probably going to lock up first. IF I were going to put ABS on only one end of a pickup, I'd put it on the rear rather than the front.

If you really want abs buy something with it , abs on something you use wheeling will get you hurt . If you start sliding down a hill backwards abs does not know which way you are going hold on cause it is going too get fun .

If you really want abs buy something with it , abs on something you use wheeling will get you hurt . If you start sliding down a hill backwards abs does not know which way you are going hold on cause it is going too get fun .

no it would still work the same I'm pretty sure. abs dosent care what way your going. it just cares about keeping the wheels from locking up.

10-4.

That's why I don't have ABS even on the newer Cherokees, when it was available at the time I bought them. If I had known I was going to remarry and turn the 2000 XJ Classic over to my wife, I would have ordered it with ABS. But ... it's configured the way I wanted it for me (except it has automatic, since the 5-speed wasn't offered in the Classic).

10-4.

That's why I don't have ABS even on the newer Cherokees, when it was available at the time I bought them. If I had known I was going to remarry and turn the 2000 XJ Classic over to my wife, I would have ordered it with ABS. But ... it's configured the way I wanted it for me (except it has automatic, since the 5-speed wasn't offered in the Classic).

Also keep in mind that D35 equipped XJs could have ABS. If you wanted a 8.25 then you would not have abs.