Low/ inconsistant oil pressure

alright so i did some searching but still haven't found any problems like this

I have an 88 MJ, 4.0 150k miles automatic 4x4,

When i first start driving, my oil pressure stays around 40, when i gas it it goes up more, when i ease off it goes down

but after around 20 minutes of driving, it will go down where it hovers at around 20, when i floor it it barely goes above 20, maybe like 25, and when i come to a stop at around 1k rpm, it drops to zero.

After the pressure initially drops from 40, you can hear noises coming out of the engine, like a ping noise and the sound of not being lubricated I think, but I'm no expert.

If you shut the truck off and start it without waiting probably over 2 hours, it won't return to the 40 psi, itll stay low.

I don't have a mechanical oil pressure gauge, but I'm thinking ill get one tomarrow to see if the gauge is correct, but anyone have any idea whats wrong?

from what ive read i would think its the oil pump

Reluctant to do that unless absolutely sure since i just changed the rear main seal and the oil pan is a pain in the @$$ to take off and put back on :doh:

But if anyone has had this problem or has any insight, it would be appreciated :cheers:

umm first thing i would do is hook it up to a mechanical guage. if its still bad then do an oil change with some seafoam. then if the problem is still there id shoot BLHTAZ a message and see if he can sell you a oil pump pick-up. cause that is probabally toast.

Oil pump pickup, what part is that?

I had the oil pump out when i was doing the rear main seal less then a month ago, no visible wear, if that makes any difference

and ive heard people talking about that seafoam stuff, what is it supposed to do?

the pick up is the little round thing at the bottom of the pump that sits inside the oil pan. they can get clogged up and restrict oil flow. and you or i or anyone will be able to see the amount of wear on an oil pump that is only pumping 20lbs as opposed to 40lbs. its like a feeler guage thing.

seafoam is an additive that cleans and protects your engine's guts. the engine is like an air compressor and a million moving parts. no or less lube means engine dies. we wouldnt want that. when its pinging or clicking and clacking then its time to turn the motor off. call your wife, AAA or who ever and bring it in the garage and fix it. it dosnt take long to fry bearings

Switch to a WIX, Motorcraft, Delco or most any other name brand than Fram. They have a history of doing things like this.

After you switch it, check the pressure with a manual guage when the engine is hot. I had the exact same issue with mine, but I use either the Mopar filter or the AMSOIL filter. My pressure was very low when hot and when we opened it up it needed Rod Bearings, Main Bearings and an Oil Pump. My presure is better, but still not where it should be as the crank is slightly out of round and had some minor scaring on it and really needs to be replaced. That's not going to happen though as I will put another engine in it before doing just a crank.

Yeah ir sounds as if you have one or 2 problems.. Did you reinstall the oil pump properly. I did a bottom end in an engine once and got a BAD oil pump from Advance... they ended up giving me a crank kit for it, but nothing for my labors.

The other possible problem is.. your tolerances are way out, and you need new bearings.

Well i changed the filter with a purolator from Advanced auto (buy 1 get 1 free :bowdown: :bowdown: )

and now the oil pressure is better, it doesnt drop below around 20 ever but still seems kindof low. One of my buddies at college has a mechanical oil pressure gauge so i didnt buy one (kind of low on cash :dunno: )

so i should be able to see how it is in a few days

but the engine noise has pretty much stopped, once and a while I can still hear a little ticking though :doh:

Are you by any chance running a FRAM oil filter?

If so, there's your problem ...

:eek: Can it really be that simple? I have the exact same problem and i also use a fram filter! Its about time for an oil/filter change anyway so i will definetly try it.

:eek: Can it really be that simple? I have the exact same problem and i also use a fram filter! Its about time for an oil/filter change anyway so i will definetly try it.

Yes, It can actually be that simple. Good for us; Bad for fram.

and now the oil pressure is better, it doesnt drop below around 20 ever but still seems kindof low.

Factory spec is 13 psi (minimum) at warm idle, and 35 to 75 above 1600 RPM. If you don't drop below 20 psi, you're in good shape. Highway cruise should be between 40 and 55 psi, but if it's only 35 I wouldn't fall on a sword because of it.

Yes, It can actually be that simple. Good for us; Bad for fram.

for some reason, Fram has some issues with the filter we use. I too almost lost my engine to a fram.

Even after doing the oil pump and all bearings on mine, it runs at about 45-50 psi until it gets to temp and then it stays at about 30-35 psi. I am going to change the oil to something a little heavier and let it ride for now as I am not putting any more money in to this engine. I have already put close to $500 in it now and for only another $300 - $400 I could have had a fresh rebuilt engine :doh: