Filling coolant in a closed system

Just wondering if everyone does it the way I do! I usually fill it through the upper hose giving breaks between pours to let the air flow out, done this twice now and haven't burped the system and haven't had a problem yet. Since then I have heard that you need to burp the system and wanted to know if there is a reason why others are having problems with air getting trapped and if I should start burping the closed system.

I have heard of doing it that way in the closed system. Personally, I converted to the open system and don't have that worry any more. If it is working for you and not overheating or having any other issues, then I say rock-on and don't worry about it :D

I fill the empty closed cooling system through a heater hose until it belches (won't take anymore) & then reconnect hose. I then fill the pressure bottle 3/4 full & drive around with THE CAP OFF until the temp get up to 170 - 180 & get back home & park it. I let it set until it cools down & sucks the pressure bottle empty (below the tube). I'll had more water & do the same thing again. After a couple times the system tops it self off & will quit sucking the bottle dry, so I again add fluid to an inch above the cold fill line and screw the cap on tight & drive it until it warms up to normal. If there's still fluid above the fill line in the bottle "after it finally cools down to cold", I did good. m2c, it not the quickest way but it works for me.

If you get the rear end up higher than the front, you can use the temp sensor at the back of the block to bleed the air out. Unscrew it until you hear air escaping. Make sure you do it on a COLD engine and have a towel over the sensor to shield you in case you turn the sensor too far and it pops off. Oh, and having someone in the truck ready to kill the engine helps too.

I have filled mine through the upper hose a number of times now. I take the cap off the expansion bottle, and fill through the upper radiator hose until the bottle is about 3/4 full, then hook the hose back up to the thermostat housing. Never had a problem doing it this way yet, and have never needed to burp it.

I followed the procedure in the Haines manual with no problems.

Take the cap off the reservoir and fill slowly until reservoir is about half full - its the highest point in the system so that makes sense. Leave cap off and start truck - let it idle for a while until it warms up and the thermostat opens and coolant flows - because of air in the system, the coolant in the bottle will get sucked down in to the system. As soon as the bottle is empty, turn off the truck. While the truck is off, but the system is still open, squeeze the hoses to work air out. Let the truck cool off until the thermostat clicks closed and the system shuts. Re-fill bottle to half full and repeat the process. You will know you are done when, after the truck heats up, it doesn't suck the bottle dry.

Be warned - each time you run the truck with the cap off, you WILL get spill-over when the system opens up and air bubbles out. Just clean it up afterwards and don't mind the smell as coolant burns off :waving:

Take the cap off the reservoir and fill slowly until reservoir is about half full - its the highest point in the system so that makes sense. Leave cap off and start truck - let it idle for a while until it warms up and the thermostat opens and coolant flows - because of air in the system, the coolant in the bottle will get sucked down in to the system. As soon as the bottle is empty, turn off the truck. While the truck is off, but the system is still open, squeeze the hoses to work air out. Let the truck cool off until the thermostat clicks closed and the system shuts. Re-fill bottle to half full and repeat the process. You will know you are done when, after the truck heats up, it doesn't suck the bottle dry.

Be warned - each time you run the truck with the cap off, you WILL get spill-over when the system opens up and air bubbles out. Just clean it up afterwards and don't mind the smell as coolant burns off :waving:

That is WAY too much work... :ack:

I never tried the hose filling method mentioned here, but if you don't want to disconnect hoses or anything, this is the easiest way that I found... viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12311

Screw that squeezing hoses & crap. Just dump it in the bottle, run it till it warm (not hot & boiling over), shut it off & go have a couple beers or watch a game. Pour more in bottle & do same. Make take a day or so, but whats the rush. When it quits sucking it in pour it half full & screw the lid on. No mess, no hassel, just lots of relaxzation..

Screw that squeezing hoses & crap. Just dump it in the bottle, run it till it warm (not hot & boiling over), shut it off & go have a couple beers or watch a game. Pour more in bottle & do same. Make take a day or so, but whats the rush. When it quits sucking it in pour it half full & screw the lid on. No mess, no hassel, just lots of relaxzation..

:thumbsup: I'm with you Zipey, that's how I did it. Of course, that's because I had no clue about the other methods, but now that I do........................I think I'll stick with the same plan. :D

next time you do a thermostat drill a small 1/8" or so hole in it and turn that to 12:00 when you put it in. this will help with the filling.

then remove small hose from the therm. housing insert funnel and fill until full, replace hose, fill bottle and ride.

Took twenty minutes of work .... didn't seem that bad to me, and I know there aren't any air pockets in the system :dunno:

Bleeding the system over a day or so wasn't an option for me .... I needed to drive it the next morning.

I guess there are a couple different options .... different strokes for different folks.

That is WAY too much work... :ack:

I never tried the hose filling method mentioned here, but if you don't want to disconnect hoses or anything, this is the easiest way that I found... http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... =9&t=12311

next time you do a thermostat drill a small 1/8" or so hole in it and turn that to 12:00 when you put it in. this will help with the filling.
Remember...if you buy the correct t-stat for the engine, it will already have that hole in it with a little check ball to allow a one way flow. :brows: