Vac Canister ?'s

My Vacuum canister has been busted (mounting brackets) and bouncing around inside my front bumper since I got my MJ...

Boilermaker was kind enough to send me one that had a good mounting bracket. Went to pop mine off tonight and found that I have 2 lines going into mine and there was only 1 on the canister that BM sent. (mine also has liquid sloshing around inside and dripping out of one of the holes)...

Both are the "softball" shaped canisters and not the blimp shape ones (no cruise)

Do I just need to find a canister with 2 ports?

img2738af3.jpg

I'm interested in this too since I bought a new ball with a single port. Are the olders one's inline and later ones simply hooked to a T. When was this change made?

Of course the real question is can a 1 port cannister be used on a 2 port car by joing the current lines with a T and running a single line to the cannister?

I cut my bumper, and that thing just kinda hung there until one day in the woods when my tire got ahold of it and sent it flying away. To this day I havent put one back in. My truck runs the same with it out, so I havent noticed why I need that.

While I'm sure my AC doesn't run as "cold" as it did 20 years ago, there are still days when I try to run it... If I go even the slightest bit uphill with the AC on, it basically shuts down (or stops blowing air)... I assumed that was because of this canister...

Wade

The problem using the single port is there won't be a check valve, so at open throttle the vacuum in the canister will just go out the exhaust, so what would be the point. Doesn't anyone have a single port canister so they can report how it is plumbed?

Is that why my heat doesnt work?

Absolutely 100% correct. That ball being gone creates a huge vacuum leak which doesn't just affect the heat not working but other things as well like how the engine runs. Your heater controls are controlled by vacuum. What I did was get rid of the vacuum canister (trace both lines up the fender, cut to shorten them and connect the two. This way at least there isn't a vacuum leak. The only downside to this is that on hills when the engine isn't creating as much vacuum the heat goes up to defroster then returns.

Loss of vacuum doesn't cause loss of heat or a/c. What is does is cause the flappers inside the vents to move to the default position, which is through the defrost vents on the top of the dash. So if you're cruising along on a zero degrees day with hot air warming your toes, and you go up a long hill and your feet suddenly feel cold -- put your hand up on top of the dash and you'll probably feel the hot air coming out there.

As noted, running with a busted "blimp" creates a vaccum leak, and that's never a good thing.

So going back to my original ?.... Do I just need to find a different 2 port canister... and does anyone have one laying around?

Wade, if I make it to the pick-n-pull on Saturday I'll pick one up for you if they have one. I'm sure I saw several round ones but not sure of the number of ports.

Mike

So going back to my original ?.... Do I just need to find a different 2 port canister... and does anyone have one laying around?

Wade, if I make it to the pick-n-pull on Saturday I'll pick one up for you if they have one. I'm sure I saw several round ones but not sure of the number of ports.

Mike

Would love to head down there with you but have about 100 things on my to-do list this weekend...

So what is the "blimp" shaped canister difference from the ball shaped one?

Looks like the Graf Zeppelin, mein Herr!

BTW Anyone know the difference between the Graf Zeppelin and Rush Limbaugh?

One's a flaming Nazi gasbag. The other is just a dirigible. :brows:

I traced the vac lines back and found out they had both been snipped and were joined together under the hood... so I hooked em back up and I'll just ziptie the ball back in place here till I get a new one...

Sheesh... some people...

img2776vz2.jpg

So what is the "blimp" shaped canister difference from the ball shaped one?

Looks like the Graf Zeppelin, mein Herr!

BTW Anyone know the difference between the Graf Zeppelin and Rush Limbaugh?

One's a flaming Nazi gasbag. The other is just a dirigible. :brows:

I had to look up dirigible :cheers: