The rear end thread...........

Sir Sam

So just out of curiosity.......what rear end is this? Someone had pulled it at the junkyard and left it sitting out in the open, they had pulled the pan cover prolly checking the gears.......

Bet they would be pissed if I had rolled it out and bought it.

so.....what is it?

whatami1.jpg

whatami2.jpg

whatami3.jpg

whatami4.jpg

Yeah, it's a later model 14 bolt full-float, with a 10.5" ring gear and third pinion bearing... The gearset is unbreakable, basically, and the shafts are huge (they're like 1.58" or something at the splines). Hangs low, really low, so they need shaving... Often they can be had with 4.56 gears from the yard, and sometimes you'll even get a factory detroit I believe...

Yeah, it's a later model 14 bolt full-float, with a 10.5" ring gear and third pinion bearing... The gearset is unbreakable, basically, and the shafts are huge (they're like 1.58" or something at the splines). Hangs low, really low, so they need shaving... Often they can be had with 4.56 gears from the yard, and sometimes you'll even get a factory detroit I believe...

All that is correct. You can also get gears down to 5.38 IIRC. Some ppl are shaving these and having custom shafts made and welding d60 knuckles on them to make rear steer.

fun stuff. What is something like that worth?

In my area you can buy surplus ones with disc brakes and a detriot locker in "new" condition for 700. With out the disc they go for 500. These are for military surplus that are " new" in the shipping crates.

Most of the time good useable axles that are complete and have good brakes.. can bring around 200 bucks. If the brakes are shot.. they are worth 100 at the most in my opinion.