Ever seen a plug do this?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Damn.

Looks to me like someone put the wrong plug in it, the piston hit it...closed it up on the electrode and caused it to short and burn up.

If it is the correct plug, then it was intalled without checking the gap and it was closed when installed...shorted and burned.

Looks to me like someone put the wrong plug in it, the piston hit it...closed it up on the electrode and caused it to short and burn up.

If it is the correct plug, then it was intalled without checking the gap and it was closed when installed...shorted and burned.

Your hypothesis is totally wrong. If you look at the first pic, you can see a crack in the ceramic. It was arcing through the crack to the body of the plug, not the electrode. It was a faulty plug from the factory. The electrode and missing body parts must have passed through the exhaust. Engine had no damage. There was a piece that was stuck in the valve but, Seafoam cleaned that out.

The picture is not clear enough to see a crack, but that is quite incredible anyway :eek: . So it shorted from the electrode through the crack and burned all the way down the side... Seems quite fortunate that it didn't weld to the head.

Your hypothesis is totally wrong. If you look at the first pic, you can see a crack in the ceramic. It was arcing through the crack to the body of the plug, not the electrode. It was a faulty plug from the factory. The electrode and missing body parts must have passed through the exhaust. Engine had no damage. There was a piece that was stuck in the valve but, Seafoam cleaned that out.

Another reason why NOT to use NGK plugs. I'll stick to my Champions........

Champoins are the best choice for the older Jeeps, but most of the '99 & up 4.0L engines came factory with NGK plugs...

Champions are plugs that I won't ever use again along with NGK's. Years ago I built a pretty healthy small block Chevy and when I fired it up it had a terrible miss that I just couldn't get rid of. Turns out I had 4 bad plugs out of the box. I am working on Bosch plugs now. I bantered back and forth with the NGK rep and sent him these pics and he said it wasn't a bad plug, it's a bad engine. He told me that I had excessive combustion temps. Told me that I had temps above 1,000 C. I'm really thinking that if that were the case, my engine would be a molten puddle.....

I'll just keep this one as a trophy. It is a testament to the 4.0 though. It never missed a beat till the plug melted past the seat and the gasses were pushed out the spark plug hole and burnt the plug wire in two. Didn't even mess up the threads in the head.

Champions do NOT work in anything but Chrysler/Jeep engines & lawn mowers ;) Bosch is a good plug that I prefer myself :cheers:

I think spark plugs are somewhat vehicle specific. My motor runs best by far w. the Champion copper cores, at the RC10 heat range. I used to have several W203 and W124 series Benz's, and they wouldn't run on anything well except the Bosch copper cores. As for the other junk (lawnmowers, pressure washer, generator, etc.) I use mostly NGKs.

used to have several W203 and W124 series Benz's, and they wouldn't run on anything well except the Bosch copper cores. .

My W123, W126, and W210 Benz always worked best with glow plugs. :cheers:

That reminds me of when I first bought my cummins, I posted something (as a joke) on a certain forum to the extent that I was having trouble locating the spark plugs... I got quite a detailed explaintation on why I should sell my newly acquired truck :roll:

(They have neither spark plugs nor glow plugs)

used to have several W203 and W124 series Benz's, and they wouldn't run on anything well except the Bosch copper cores. .

That reminds me of when I first bought my cummins, I posted something (as a joke) on a certain forum to the extent that I was having trouble locating the spark plugs... I got quite a detailed explaintation on why I should sell my newly acquired truck :roll:

(They have neither spark plugs nor glow plugs)

I would have given them a quite detailed explanation on how to locate their sense of humor.

I didn't say that...I have never owned a Benz... It should be
;) :laughin: