Found This

Look like the IOD connector in mine. But I don't know if the Renix era had these........

Explanation: The "Ignition Off Draw" connector and fuse (IOD). The term ignition-off draw identifies a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. The IOD connector feeds the memory and sleep mode functions for some of the electronic modules in the vehicle as well as various other accessories that require battery current when the ignition switch is in the Off position, including the clock.

The IOD connector can be used by the vehicle owner as a convenient means of reducing battery depletion when a vehicle is to be stored for periods not to exceed about twenty days (short-term storage). Simply disconnect the IOD connector from the JB receptacle slot # 15 and place it in slot # 11 (see diagram above). However, it must be remembered that disconnecting the IOD connector will not eliminate IOD, but only reduce this normal condition. When a vehicle will not be used for more than twenty days, but less than thirty days, remove the IOD fuse from the Power Distribution Center (PDC).

Well I always love a challenge. Just spent about 40 minutes looking for this. Found it on my 86 2wd 2.5 but not on the harness for the 88 2wd 2.5.

Looked in the many resources that I have and think I came up with it.

It may be the 4wd indicator light switch connector. Which would explain why it is not connected.

Or it may be one of the Californa emission things.

I'm thinking the 4wd indicator. If someone with a 86 4wd 2.5 can look at theirs, they might be able to confirm or dis-spell this.

:cheers:

Well I always love a challenge. Just spent about 40 minutes looking for this. Found it on my 86 2wd 2.5 but not on the harness for the 88 2wd 2.5.

Looked in the many resources that I have and think I came up with it.

It may be the 4wd indicator light switch connector. Which would explain why it is not connected.

Or it may be one of the Californa emission things.

I'm thinking the 4wd indicator. If someone with a 86 4wd 2.5 can look at theirs, they might be able to confirm or dis-spell this.

I don't think it's the indicator light.

I have an '86 2.5, 4x4 - that connector is hanging blank on my truck too, and my indicator light works.

What colorts are the wires going to the connector? I can't really make them out in the pictures,

Looking at my wiring diagram .... my guess is it's un-used spot for the A/C clutch relay.

or possibly for the EGR solenoid?

I don't think it's the indicator light.

I have an '86 2.5, 4x4 - that connector is hanging blank on my truck too, and my indicator light works.

What colorts are the wires going to the connector? I can't really make them out in the pictures,

Looking at my wiring diagram .... my guess is it's un-used spot for the A/C clutch relay.

or possibly for the EGR solenoid?

Well that eliminates the 4wd light. Mine has AC so I don't think it's that. I saw the EGR solenoid but couldn't narrow down the wire colors. So I think it's Californa emission stuff. Either way, it's not needed as several now have said that it's just hanging there.

If you are referring to the plug resting on the red wires in the picture above, the electrical troubleshooting book says its the A/C Diode Module, appears of the 4L engine, and should be taped to the wiring harness by the left hood hinge.