Building your own fuel tank?

Is this at least feasible? I don't really see why not, but I'm often blinded by my sheer ignorance.

So,

If you were to do it, aluminum or stainless? I've never welded aluminum with a MIG, and I've only ever welded stainless with a stick (but I fail to see how it could be hard if I bought stainless wire).

Would you make the tank thick enough that you could consider it to have an integrated skid plate? IE, 1/8" sides, 3/16" bottom if stainless, 5/16" bottom, 1/4" sides if aluminum? Or such?

Would you use a stock style fuel pump?

Just thinking, probably not going to ever do it...

Why regular steel? The coating crap doesn't work so well from what I've seen. And AFAIK stainless is reasonably easy to weld - I can do it with a stick half decently, or at least make it look half decent...

Aluminum won't be bad for corrosion as long as you use 5052 - which is ment for marine/corrosive environments, or if you use an alcladded product (which can't be welded, which means you have to rivet it, which means I'm not interested despite the fact that I can do that).

Why regular steel?

Purely because it's what I'm most familiar with (although admittedly I couldn't even do that myself since I don't have a real welder). But if you've got the skills/tools for stainless, by all means, go for it. :thumbsup:

I can't say for sure, because I do very little welding, but the stock tanks are formed steel with a rolled lip welded on the outside.

I believe I read somewhere the welding process changes the chemical composition of the steel therefore causing it to be more susceptible to corrosion?

Or do they roll the seams on the tanks just to try and ensure less chance for leakage?

Depending on why you want to build your own tank I wonder why you don't use a pre-made fuel cell. Either way if you are building it, make sure you put a vent with roll over protection in it, as well as a return and pressure line. Most of the pre-made cell have 3 bungs welded to them, and well as a spot for the fuel sender to be bolted in, and of course a fuel fill spot.

The thing about stainless that I don't like is that it's horrible to drill. And I mean horrible... But I guess if I planned it right, that shouldn't be a big deal.

this is why we have plasma cutters.

What 'we'? I don't :cry:

Don't even have one at work either... I should talk to them about that.

I can't say for sure, because I do very little welding, but the stock tanks are formed steel with a rolled lip welded on the outside.

I believe I read somewhere the welding process changes the chemical composition of the steel therefore causing it to be more susceptible to corrosion?

Or do they roll the seams on the tanks just to try and ensure less chance for leakage?

I think they do it that way because it's easier for mass production. Being that it can be cut, bent, and welded by an automated system.

Welding will sometimes make the steel more susceptible to corrosion, either by creating an internal stress (bending steel makes it more likely to corrode, if you care to know), or by simply using the wrong filler material (dissimilar metals). Providing you use the same stainless filler rod/wire as the material, I don't see an issue.

Depending on why you want to build your own tank I wonder why you don't use a pre-made fuel cell. Either way if you are building it, make sure you put a vent with roll over protection in it, as well as a return and pressure line. Most of the pre-made cell have 3 bungs welded to them, and well as a spot for the fuel sender to be bolted in, and of course a fuel fill spot.

A standard cell wouldn't fit. I actually want to replace the tank on my XJ with one that's a little more robust (and not rusted to all hell), and has more capacity. I know I could just buy one, but I'm sure I would find some reason to not like it.

I don't want to make the tank hand any lower than the stock one - an inch higher would be even better. But I think I could make it a little wider perhaps, and extend a little farther foreward. I didn't really look at it in detail to see if it would work, I only came up with the idea while sitting here thinking about skid plates.

I just got done wheeling my XJ, and wish I had about another 4" of wheel base :eek: Currently I am running the stock setup with a skid row skid. You might be able to widen the tank quite a bit by using the hitch/skid mounting holes. My only concern with doing that is you will be supporting a lot of weight with fuel and metal with 6 bolts. Also if it was me, I would run an inline pump instead of an in tank one

In the late 70's/early 80's there was a company called Best Tank that made all kinds of larger replacement and aux tanks. Best Tank used aluminum for all their tanks. Take it for what ever it is worth.

An easier way to get more fuel capacity might be to move the spare tire and mount a Cherokee fuel tank in the place of the spare tire. That would give you an extra 20 gallons of fuel.

A stock fuel transfer valve out of a Ford or Chevy truck with dual tanks should work without too much trouble.

My problem would be how to fill the second tank without doing a bunch of body work

As for mounting the spare, I think a swing away bumper carrier would be a decent soltion or perhaps a front bumper mounted carrier.