How to measure ride hight

Jeep tech note I.S. 14E explains how to check the ride height on a Comanche. They use the chassis and suspension not the hubs and flares

Front:

------

Measure vertical distance between top of axle tube (looks like just inboard of the LCA mount) to the under side of the frame rail. For the passenger side, measure from the axle tube just outboard of the vacuum disconnect housing.

For 2WD models the distance should be 6-3/4" +/- 1/2".

For 4WD models the distance should be 7-3/4" +/- 1/2"

Rear:

------

Measure from the top of the axle tube to the underside of the frame rail inboard of the rubber bump stop.

For 2WD models the distance should be 8.2" +/- 1/2".

For 4WD models the distance should be 9.2" +/- 1/2"

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

It's been over three years since the question was asked, yet no answer. I don't have a factory service manual in front of me, and my online sources haven't proved helpful. The diagram posted above certainly looks to be factory, however the text itself does not appear original, not necessarily in either case, and there's a pretty large discrepancy between 6" and 9.2". My experience is XJs sit lower in the rear so with the "I know this is spring under" statement, I'm going to ASSume that the 6" measurement is not in reference to an MJ?

On January 26, 2016 at 8:08 PM, kc91987 said:

This may be a stupid question but why is does one say front : 7.75   rear : 9.2 and the second awnser say front: 6.75 and rear: 6

On October 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM, HOrnbrod said:
On October 26, 2013 at 7:06 AM, onlyinajeep726 said:

Here you go...

1fc31d4b08759f584a7f14fe8ec6960f.jpg

Would someone with a FSM be able to confirm this?

On 7/26/2019 at 7:54 PM, gogmorgo said:

Would someone with a FSM be able to confirm this?

Yes, I can. But it doesn't come from the FSM, it comes from M.R. 277 for the Comanche, I.S. Notes. Specifically, it's in I.S. 14E, which addresses spring identification and selection.

For front ride height:

On two-wheel drive models, vertical distance should be 17 cm (6 3/4 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch). On four-wheel drive models, vertical distance should be 20 cm (7 3/4 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch).

For rear ride height:

On two-wheel drive models, vertical distance should be 21 cm (8.2 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch). On four-wheel drive models, vertical distance should be 23 cm (9.2 inches) plus or minus 13 mm (1/2 inch).

Stuck into my copy of M.R. 277 I also have a single photocopied page with the comparable information for the XJ, but I don't remember where I found it. For the XJ, there is no distinction between 2WD and 4WD. The front dimension is 6 3/4" (17 cm). The rear dimension is 6" (15cm). Both are plus-or-minus 1/2 inch.