Transfer chain slapping??

96 XJ with auto could also be the 242.

Whats the physical difference?

Wouldn't it be easier to just swap the whole case?

Yeah, probably, if I go JY'ing then the swapped one might need it too,, I don't know what Ill do right now, just getting me edumacation right now boss..

NP242 is the full time case, or all wheel drive. It has a viscous coupling for the front, which allows you to be in 4wd on dry pavement, all the time when in 4wd full time.

Hummm it has something on the sun visor that states part time this, part time that,, I believe it was part time for high and low,, almost certain it did. Command trac?? Maybe??? :dunno:

NP242 is the full time case, or all wheel drive. It has a viscous coupling for the front, which allows you to be in 4wd on dry pavement, all the time when in 4wd full time.

The 242 does not have a viscous coupling, it mas a mechanical differential.

JT, "CommandTrac" is the 231, "SelecTrac" is the 242.

There it is,,, I went out and checked it did say Command Trac,, I knew it did..

Thanks guys, I don't care what they say about yous,,, y'all aight be me!

My bad, I'd been told it was a coupling.

My bad, I'd been told it was a coupling.

the coupling is in the np229 or np228 case from the 86 and prior cherokees and some comanches. this is part of a system called "selec-trac"

as for the location of the differentialin the NP242.. it is located on the output shaft.

I just rebuilt an NP242 for a friend of mine. the chain cost was around $80, the new oil filter was $8. the filter should be the same between cases and the chain should be similarly priced, if not the same part.

as for taking it apart, here's the short of it;

remove front driveshaft yoke (not sure if this is necessary, but it did make my project easier, plus allowed me to inspect the bearings)

remove rear output housing.

remove snap-ring on output shaft

remove speedo gear/cable

remove secondary output housing.

remove rear case housing (main cap on back of case). there are just bolts here. the oil pump will come off with it, so be careful...the pickup tube and filter may want to stick in the forward section, but need to come out with the rear case to avoid damaging the O-ring at the filter

from there, if you pop the front output shaft out, and loosen the rear output shaft (pull back a bit), the chain should pop right off. you should take the output shaft out and clean it (parts washer or brake cleaner) as well as clean the case out, and pull the magnet out of the bottom and clean it until it has zero shavings on it (the magnet is located directly below the front output shaft.

this can all be done with the case in the jeep, but I suggest doing it with the case out of the jeep so that you don't spend as much time on your back.