What happened ?!?!

NewToJeeps

I got this car the other day and as you can plainly see its nothing now but scrap. The thing is nobody knows what happened to this car. It was a 97 Toyota i think ? Just from the side impact the door has been pushed in to about middle way of the drivers seat so i am thinking either A they were hit by a slow rolling train (happens alot here) or B they had watched to much of the fast and furious and hit a guard rail sideways and was thrown into some other cars or something. Just being curious is all. Whats your ideas of what happened ?

I'm not to sure. It wasn't attached to the car when we picked it up but it looks like they have pried it off. For some reason after it was wrecked they had replaced the headlights and housings... :nuts:

Maybe they thought they could fix it or something. Who knows lol.

Alrighty then, my favorate- accident reconstruction. :D

1) Windshield does not appear damaged - unless the PO replaced it after the wreck, that means the hood had to have been either (1) pried up at the scene by ignorant firemen to cut the battery cables and then damaged more when it was completely removed or (2) damaged while being removed later. There is no way that hood could sustain that much damage in a wreck and not at least fracture the windshield. A clue would be cut battery cables and the main catch on the front radiator frame: sheared = firemen.

2) Left rear tire is blown. Most likely the cause of the wreck, or a major factor. However, no roof damage so it did not roll over - can't see if the bags deployed but front end does not have enough damage for that.

3) Rear damage - appears to be from a rear-end collision with another vehicle, but could be from sliding into a fixed object backwards. The two main indentions on the bumper would indicate a set of steel bolsters, or a truck with bumper guards...or a police cruiser shoving it out of the way.

4) Side damage - definately from sliding up on a lower object...I see this mostly on the interstate with the break-away road sign mounts...the sign goes away but the mount digs into the vehicle to stop its momentum. Unfortunately, on lower cars it digs into the side panels.

All in all, I'd say the tire blew, driver lost control and hit a sign and several fixed objects...maybe wandered back out into traffic and got rear-ended.

Well that all sounds good but...

The back tire that is blown was actually drug of the back side of the wheel and the wheel was somewhat crushed as if it had been drug sideways or caught on something that didnt give way such as maybe the sign post ?

You were also right about the hood. The latch was sheered and the battery was missing with no cable ends. Never thought of the firemen cutting the cables like but now that you mention it thats exactly how it appears. i like the police car idea to with push bumper. Maybe they wasn't willing to pull over and the police helped them out a little lol.

Big muffler+stupid stickers+stock celica= Dumb kid who can't drive or was just starting to drive trying to show off for his car full of friends. The dirt shoved in the passenger side wheel kinda says it went sliding off the road at some point. :dunno:

Well that all sounds good but...

The back tire that is blown was actually drug of the back side of the wheel and the wheel was somewhat crushed as if it had been drug sideways or caught on something that didnt give way such as maybe the sign post ?

You were also right about the hood. The latch was sheered and the battery was missing with no cable ends. Never thought of the firemen cutting the cables like but now that you mention it thats exactly how it appears. i like the police car idea to with push bumper. Maybe they wasn't willing to pull over and the police helped them out a little lol.

Hmmm...dunno about the tire. THe tread separation is something you don't usually see when a tire blows due to sliding sideways. I'd need better picks of the tire to call that one.

Of course, you could always run the VIN and call the PO - if he's still alive

it flipped 7 times endo. never touched the roof of the car. people walked away from it. drivers side also got whacked by a telephone pole on the way.

ooooor....

someone watched that "plannies pictures" video on youtube of how to torture test a XJ and wanted to see how a celica would handle it.

Side impact in center of car that forced the front passenger side into a guard rail. Later when the police were quickly trying to clear the accident from traffic they pushed the back end, no way that could be caused by anything as big as a truck b/c the 2 marks are 2 low, if a truck hit with a brush guard it the marks would be above the bumper.

OOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRR,

That being said it could have been a bad ending to a high speed chase.