E85

500 MJ

This is probably THE dumbest question posted up today but since I haven't asked anything dumb for quite sometime, I figured it was my turn. 8)

Can we run E85 in our trucks or is that just for the newer vehicles?

I'm clueless on the subject of this stuff and an area gas station just started selling it... for 20 cents cheaper than 87 octane. Rather than research it for a few hours on the net I thought I would just ask here instead. ;)

Thanks - Brent

a guy on JF was running it in his xj. But he had to do some tunning and stuff for it to run. ill try and dig up a link for ya.

but to answer your question i don't think you can just dump it in without doing work prior jamminz.gif

don't know if there's any difference between your jeeps and the export models, but this problem have been discussed several times at a norwegain forum and the conclussion have been that you can mix somewhere between 50 to 75% E85 and the rest normal gasoline with no ill effects to a otherwise stock 4.0L. Its supposed to be based on experience, not just a "guesstimate"

I have not tried this myself, so don't blame me if you blow up your engine.. i only tell what i have been told by people i don't know.

you wouldn/t most likely blow up your engine if you ran it, but you would most likely run lean, you need more of it to equal gasoline.

but it has an octane rating of over 100 so high hp applications is really good.

but certain rubbers in the fuel system will be eaten away by the e85 unless its made to run on both.

For a comparison of gas & E85 go to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E85#Compar ... r_gasoline

In Oregon they mandated (I believe) a 10% mix of the stuff in 87 octane gas. Since then my MPG have dropped by 3-4. It suck's.

They may sell it cheaper, but, you buy more to go the same distance as using gas.

Exactly...they are now mixing it in the gasoline so that everyone is getting worse MPG and then they jacked the price up. How do you think that the oil companies have generated such huge "record" profits in the 2nd quarter of this year? :roll:

E85 =

The link is good, the guy seems to know what he is talking about except there is a major drawback with E85 from the standpoint that it is not water-tolerant to the extent regular fuel is. In fact, it absorbs water from ambiant air and requires more frequent fuel filter changes.

Most companies that talk about utilizing E85 begin by stating if the vehicle is more then 5 years old you need to change the fuel tank as well, as E85 will remove deposits and impurioties in the tank to the filter, and then to the injection system.

E85 contains less energy per gallon than gasoline.

Aside from that, it is also a very good solvent, and will wash the oil right off your cylinder walls. If you try to use, please add a good top end lubricant (2 cycle oil). Even then it will still cause faster wear of the engine.

On top of all that, it is corrosive. It will eat your fuel lines, unless you replace them with stainless. It will eventually also eat the pump, tank and injectors.

Even if I had a vehicle capable of running E85 I still wouldn't unless I had no choice.

If people really want biofuels, run biodiesel in a Jetta and get a clean 55mpg. E85 is not, never has been and never will be the answer.

Ok, sounds good. I like my engine the way it is right now. I couldn't ask for anything more as far as that 4.0L is concerned. I'm not gonna put this stuff in it. Thanks for the guidance guys, the biggest reason why I love this site!