Changing the serpentine belt. Any advice?

Make sure you get all the bolts. It makes the job much harder if you miss one. :roll: I know.
X2 on that. I broke a tensioner bolt because I forgot about the bolt on the lower rear of the PS pump :roll: .

The PS pump is the tensioner on your truck and there are 3 bolt that must be loosened to get it to move...two on the front and one on the lower rear that is easier to get to from under the truck most of the time ;) .

One of these works pretty well too.

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPages/N ... sion+Gauge

Used belt is 140-160 lbs-f

New belt is 180-200 lbs-f

I have never seen one of those before... I have always used the "twist" method. Tighten it until the resistance allows only approximately a 1/4 turn worth of play in the belt.

I have never seen one of those before... I have always used the "twist" method. Tighten it until the resistance allows only approximately a 1/4 turn worth of play in the belt.

For years I did that too. But I was always worried that I would have the belt too tight and ruin a bearnig, so I would have it too loose and I would get a squeel. It takes all the guess work out of it for me, and its very easy to use.

Dave

If you do not have air conditioning, does it make any difference?

On the 4 cylinder, if you don't have A/C, you get the belt specifically for your engine w/o A/C, and vice-versa. On the I6, it's the same belt for w. A/C and w/o A/C. The sixes w/o A/C have an idler pulley in place of the compressor.