...stupid fan

ok so i rigged up the cooling fan to a switch...when its on for a while the wires get very hot and start smoking? yeah i'm disapointed in myself cuz this is very simple stuff here. :oops: its going to be simple fix i just know it buy my brain can't think of what i'm doin' wrong!!! my jeep is lucky i love her...

Think your problem is as simple as your wire guage size is to small for the fan, it's pulling more amps than the wire can handle. Just get larger guage wire and rewire the fan.

oh ha. i didnt even think of that :oops: . thanks for the tip

Cause the little $3 switch you put in line can't handle the amp load of the fan ;)

Here's a little info what a relay does, and how to wire one in :D

You can run 16-18 ga wire to the switch, but bump up to at least 12 ga for the fan and relay feed.

Cause the little $3 switch you put in line can't handle the amp load of the fan ;)

You can run 16-18 ga wire to the switch, but bump up to at least 12 ga for the fan and relay feed.

awsome thanks. learn something new everyday right?

Excellent link Wildman. I have added that one to my "Jeep Favorites" for future reference... Thanks :cheers:

Excellent link Wildman. I have added that one to my "Jeep Favorites" for future reference... Thanks :cheers:

No Problem 8)

But.......you know I've posted the links before......all from the same site......So, bookmark the site, and you'll share all the info at once :smart:

http://www.lunghd.com/

One of the best site out there :papers:

its still getting kind of hot even after i put the relay in. i used 12 ga wire for the whole thing. i don't know what else to do except trying bigger gauge wire...I'm stumped

Trust me, 12 GA wires will handle WAY more than that fan will draw.. IF its a good fan and you haven't crossed any wires.

Go back a double check all that you have done. its easy to get something crossed. If nothing is found, its likely a bad motor in the fan.

CW

Trust me, 12 GA wires will handle WAY more than that fan will draw.. IF its a good fan and you haven't crossed any wires.

Go back a double check all that you have done. its easy to get something crossed. If nothing is found, its likely a bad motor in the fan. CW

Turn your fan off and on and see if you can hear (or feel) the relay clicking. You might have mis-wired the fan load thru two NC relay contacts or thru the coil. Easy to do........

Go back a double check all that you have done. its easy to get something crossed. If nothing is found, its likely a bad motor in the fan. CW

Turn your fan off and on and see if you can hear (or feel) the relay clicking. You might have mis-wired the fan load thru two NC relay contacts or thru the coil. Easy to do........

yeah i can hear and feel it click on and off, that a bad thing? maybe i'm just over paranoid as i'm used to stuff goin' wrong

It SHOULD click!!

The relay is nothing but a secondary switch. But its a more heavy duty switch.

Usually 4 wires,

1&2 Power in, Power out. (Both larger wires)

3 Ground

4 switched wire going to 12v power source. (NOT much draw light wire is all that's needed)

So, what happens is your in the cab and want the accessory on. You throw your switch, it sends power the the relay switch. The relay switches and allows bigger power the flow threw firing what ever you have the wire connected to.... All the big power is at and threw the solenoid switch.

Hope I haven't confused you more...

CW

yeah i can hear and feel it click on and off, that a bad thing? maybe i'm just over paranoid as i'm used to stuff goin' wrong

Yes, it is supposed to click; this means you most likely have it wired in correctly. Are you using the existing aux fan in the vehicle? I've seen these things draw more than 25A (15-16 is the norm), which is too much for 12AWG wire, especially if it's running a fairly long distance. The wires to the fan will get warm if this is the case. And where did you tap into for the 12V+ fan power source? Is it fused?

I'm with wildman...if all is wired right and you are still getting wires overheating, the motor is likely going bad and creating too much resistance.

You mean too little resistance, drawing too many amps? A higher resistance circuit will draw less amps, creating less heat in the wiring.

so yeah i know i wired it in right and its hot enough to burn my fingers. so if the motor is bad what do i do? can i just replace the motor itself or do i have to replace the whole fan?. btw thanks everyone thats been trying to help me out and educate me