...stupid fan

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/amps-wire-gauge-d_730.html

I would be very suprised if that fan (running correctly) drew 10 amps. 12 GA is perfectly fine for the short run required to wire it thru a relay.

If the motor is shot, who knows what its drawing, could be almost anything. CW

Be surprised CW. :D I'm running two of these in my rig and have bench tested them all ( the 84-95 5 bladers, 96-97 8 bladers, and the 97+ 10 bladers) trying to find a good compromise between the best CFM and amp draw. The older 5-blade XJ/MJ aux fans were the most erratic, probably because of age, and the least running amp draw I found was 14 amps. And most drew right at 20A during startup and 16A running. The 8 and 10 bladers averaged about 2A more overall, but the CFM was better, so I went with two 10 bladers finally.

My recommendation to 69CamaroSS is that since I ASSume your wiring is correct, your fan is drawing too many amps. Perhaps due to age, bad bearings, corrosion on the connectors, or a combination thereof. If you swap out the fan, go with the newer 8 or 10 blade modules; they bolt right in, you just have to wire in a new connector. :cheers:

A temporary fix might be to change out the 12 gauge wire for 10. What size fuse are you running in the line? With 12 gauge wire you should be running at most a 15A fuse, and that should blow before the wire gets hot enough to burn your fingers. Fuses are what protects your truck from burning to the ground.

A temporary fix might be to change out the 12 gauge wire for 10. What size fuse are you running in the line? With 12 gauge wire you should be running at most a 15A fuse, and that should blow before the wire gets hot enough to burn your fingers. Fuses are what protects your truck from burning to the ground.
umm yeah fuses...i'll make sure to go get a few :oops:

ok so i rewired the whole circut today(the right way with fuses and all). i used 15A fuses for both the switch and the fan. It didn't surprise me when the fan fuse blew. Should i bump up to a 20A? 20 is what i was gunna do in the first place but was worried it might damage something. Btw i went to a few JY and out of ALL the jeeps there i only found ONE(yes thats right only one) cooling fan, the rest had been taken. So i tryed it out and the damn thing barley spun before it just stopped working all together... :headpop: :mad:

Mine is wired with 14Ga and fastory wires. (they are amaller) It NEVER even gets WARM..... I haven't checked what it's drawing for amps. But I did check and its running on a 7.5A fuse. I did add a relay and an additional switch so I can decide when it go's on AS WELL AS having it being thermostatically controlled.

Dude, I hate to keep repeating myself..... But your fan is FUBAR.

CW

Mine is wired with 14Ga and fastory wires. (they are amaller) It NEVER even gets WARM..... I haven't checked what it's drawing for amps. But I did check and its running on a 7.5A fuse. I did add a relay and an additional switch so I can decide when it go's on AS WELL AS having it being thermostatically controlled.

Dude, I hate to keep repeating myself..... But your fan is FUBAR.

CW

it'd be nice to actually find on around in a JY but oh well, guess i might have to break down and get one from checker or somthing. thanks for all the input guys :bowdown:

it'd be nice to actually find on around in a JY but oh well, guess i might have to break down and get one from checker or somthing. thanks for all the input guys :bowdown:

Or.......you could ask one of us if they have an extra aux fan laying around, and save a few $$$ over a new one :roll:

Or.......you could ask one of us if they have an extra aux fan laying around, and save a few $$$ over a new one :roll:

so anyone have a cooling fan i could use in the minnesota area?