Junkyards??

jaekl

Is there a trend of junkyards closing? I'm starting to notice missing junkyards. Now I'm thinking if they were willing to pay you upwards of $300 per car, how much do they get? If it's significant, then why wait around for someone to buy bits at a time? Just crush it and send it to China.

Is there something going on or am I just jumping too far? Currently, I don't get to frequent (or need to) yards very often to be on the inside. Is there something to be alarmed about or not?

I think alot of the smaller ones may be closing up. I think they are taking advantage of the high price of scrap and moving on.

The trend I notice most is that alot of JY's don't want to let people into the yard anymore.

The trend of not letting people in started a while back. It actually started to get better. We used to roam freely in yards as kids, ah the good old days. The individuals that ruined it for the rest of us by sueing for some injury by trying to retrieve a used part of questionable condition to keep their vehicle running safely on the road had all those skills but could tell that something wasn't supported well? I'm assuming that was a typical chain of events that lead to us be rescricted from many yards. Maybe we should have sued the individuals because could they really maintain a safe vehicle if they didn't know an unsafe one when they crawled underneath? If they survived, they then exposed us to their vehicle. Scary.

Yeah those yards that had a couple hundred cars sitting around probably were thinking they were getting too old for it. I'm starting to eye over my various vehicles. I'll wait, they can only go up in value one way or another.

Many of our JY around here were in American Canyon, but now that it is considered the gateway to the "Napa Valley Wine Country" I counted six that have closed shop and the land is being used both for "residential and comercial" which says a lot because the cost of moving contaminating soil is outrageous.

My area had 3 new pull-yur-parts open up in the last few years. Oddly enough, the rules are a bit different between them. :dunno:

If they are like mine here, they can get away with it because you sign a waiver when you go in which makes them not liable for your stupidity. :D

My area had 3 new pull-yur-parts open up in the last few years. Oddly enough, the rules are a bit different between them. :dunno:

If they are like mine here, they can get away with it because you sign a waiver when you go in which makes them not liable for your stupidity. :D

Yep. At least the one I go to, (also the one Pete visits) we must sign the waiver to get in.

The ones I go to cost $1 to get in. That $1 goes into an insurance account that they maintain in case someone gets injured.

Ask me how I know.......I accidentally dropped a transmission on my hand while trying to remove it by myself one day. I was walking out with one sore hand (and the tranny) and casually mentioned my stupidity to the cashier. They MADE me fill out a bunch of paperwork and sent me to the ER for x-rays and evaluation.....on their dime, not mine. Thankfully, no worse than a bunch of swelling and a bit of blood (I had gloves on luckily).

Jeff

You bring up a good point. When normal people do something stupid and get hurt, they don't want anybody to know. Just go off and lick your wounds. So if you get over your natural instincts, you might be able to make some money these days.

One makes you sign a form and checks ID.

One makes you sign the big sign in sheet (but doesn't check that the name you signed is actually you)

One doesn't do diddly-squat

I forget what that fourth one does. I don't get out there much.

Pete, The only one I know of you mentioning is TAS (sign in sheet)

Which are the other ones you mention?

don't go to E&M in Canton. Those guys are a bunch of buttholes. (But always seem to have atleast 5-10 MJ's most unmolested, ones with black interiors, cargo lights, etc.)

There's another that opened up just down the dirt road from TAS. The other is right over on Pennsylvania (east of Telegraph) by the train tracks.

May have to try it. Thanks for the headsup.

Never been to E+M.

Keep it that way. :D Unless youre desperate for a part that youll pay twice as much for, and chances are they would have it...

In my area some are just crushing cars now because scrap prices are up and others because land value is up and the owners are looking to pad their retirement fund.

One I frequent however, I doubt they will close anytime soon, the cars with motors and trannys removed are there for a few years before being crushed to make way for more, but some "rare" ones won't be scrapped, a whole line of old Scouts, some older Chryslers (even the owner's first car a 48 Plymouth), a Cat generator that has a GM big block to start it. In the warehouse I know of (seen them) a 426 HEMI and a 4 bolt main double hump (HP) head 350 Chevy. He won't even talk to you about selling either of them. Not to mention the several rows of Cherokees and other Jeeps.