Shocks opinions

Hey all and thanks for taking the time out to read my thread!

:cheers:

So....I'm running a set of Gabriel Ryder LT "VST" technology shocks which have been pretty good to me over the past two years, however I'm looking into replacing them.

Now I know XJ front shocks will work, and I've heard nothing but amazing things on bilsteins. However, for the life of me I can't find any that will fit the rear of a comanche. In fact, rear shocks are extremely limited in comparison.

So what gives? Is it just the length difference between XJ rears and MJ rears, or is there something more to it?

My comanche see's 99% street use, and preferably I'd like shocks that are more orientated towards performance handling. I do go occasionally offroad, but it is mostly light sand trails.

The VST's in comparison to the stockers are a good improvement in both comfort, handling and off-road potential, so I would go with them again if worst came to worst.

What do you guys suggest running? Another one besides the bilsteins that I've heard good things about is the eibach IAS shocks but again, I can't find them anywhere for a comanche.

So is there anything performance wise out there for the MJ?

Thanks for any info!

What amount of lift are you running?

XJ rear shocks do not work on the MJ's as the eye's are different. XJ's use bar-pins at the top in the rear; where the MJ's do not.

We've been running OME's lately with good results in daily-driven / mild wheeling rigs.

X2 on the OMEs. :cheers: I have a 3" lift, so I used the OME ZJ rear shocks based on the travel I needed. I'm sure Motion can provide an OME part number for the MJ application w. no lift, but if not, shoot me a PM.

MJ rear shocks are longer than XJ rears. You can knock the cross pins out of the upper end and the XJ shock bushings are the same diameter as the eyes on MJ shocks. BUT ...

I thought I was going to be clever a couple of years ago. I had a pair of the very same Gabriel VST shocks you mentioned, out of an XJ. I thought I'd remove the pins and use them in the rear of my '88 MJ when I removed the lift.

WRONG!

Fully extended, when I put the lower eye on the mount the upper eye was about half an inch short of reaching the upper stud. I could have weighted down the bed and forced the shocks on, but then I would have had a one-way suspension and it would have destroyed the shocks rather quickly. So I bought a pair of new Gabriels for the MJ, and had to buy new splt bushings to get the pins back in the shocks so they can be used in an XJ.

Eagle, since you are the first person I've talked to that has used the gabriels on a Jeep, let alone an MJ, what was your opinion on their performance?

I've only been able to compare them to stock, but that isn't saying much.

Eagle, since you are the first person I've talked to that has used the gabriels on a Jeep, let alone an MJ, what was your opinion on their performance?

I've only been able to compare them to stock, but that isn't saying much.

I think the premium VST shocks are excellent. I admit to being partial to Monroe, and I currently have Monroe SensaTracs in my '88 XJ, but IMHO the Gabriel VSTs are probably just as good.

The Gabriels I bought to throw in the back of the '88 MJ when the VSTs proved to be too short were NOT the VSTs. They were the cheapest Gabriel the nearby Pep Boys had in stock -- and I bought them because they were $2 per shock cheaper than anything I could get at Auto Zone or Advanced Auto. They do the job, but when the back is loaded they're a bit mushy. And when the back isn't loaded they let the tail bounce around more than I like on washboard surfaces. Hey, for $9.99 per shock I wasn't expecting Gran Prix performance. I needed shocks and I was short on cash.

Monroes are good. Gabriels are good. Bilsteins are good. OMEs are good. My brother once talked me into trying KYB "Gas Adjusts" on the XJ. Another reminder never to listen to my brother. They were horrible. DO NOT buy KYB shocks unless you're into masochism in a big way.

I run ProComp ES9000's on both of our Jeeps and my 2002 Dodge Ram. My second place choice would be Bilstein. If I had the cash to blow on a great shock, it would be Edelbrock, but at $150+ each...they are a little out of the budget right now. ;)

I used the OME's on out YJ at one point. They lasted about 18 months and they were leaking and useless so I would never recommend them to anyone.

If you run Bilsteins DO NOT run the 5125's; they are junk (in our opinion). Run the 5150's. Spend the few extra bucks on them and you'll be happy.

The 5125's are the same as RE's shocks. RE just puts their name on them.

Still my recommendation is going to be OME's for a daily driven rig who see's the occasional trail use. We've got them that will fit a non-lifted MJ. The only thing you'd need to do is measure eye-eye for us in the rear since 2WD and 4WD leafs tend to sit a bit different.

Shocks are just like tires though; ask 50 people what the best set is and you'll get 50 different answers.

• 2 weeks later...
I run ProComp ES9000's on both of our Jeeps and my 2002 Dodge Ram. My second place choice would be Bilstein. If I had the cash to blow on a great shock, it would be Edelbrock, but at $150+ each...they are a little out of the budget right now. ;)

I used the OME's on out YJ at one point. They lasted about 18 months and they were leaking and useless so I would never recommend them to anyone.

Well, like someone said, asking 1000 peoples' opinions about shocks will bring you 1000 different answers. I've had my OMEs on for three years now and they still perform as new. Before those, I had Monroe SensaTracs; two of them (one front, one rear) blew out in less than a year. Never again.

SoloCamo, I had the VST's on my XJ, happened to buy them new at Autozone with lifetime warranty for 19.99. After my XJ sat in a garage for 5 years, they went bad and started to leak. I took them back Wednesday and they gave me Gabriel Ultra Gforce's (31.99 a piece) for free under warranty. Id say they ride very nice. I recommend them. Dunno if they make them for the MJ rears though.