REAR WINDOW REPLACEMENT?

I'm going to be replacing my rear slider and i want to know if anyone has any advice or tips for doing this before i try it, i have taken them out before, thats no problem. I'm just worried about putting it back in. Thanks

Erik :beerhead:

yup, i pulled the replacement out myself, there was no adhesive or anything just the rubber seal around the outside of the glass. it was kind of a pita to remove so i figured it would be even harder to put in, thats why I'm asking for help.

Erik

First have the glass in the seal. Then take a piece of 12 gage wire and put it in the outer part of the seal that will fit in to the body opening. You want the ends of the wire to meet at the bottom of the window, with at least a foot left on each end. Now have a friend hold the window from the outside with the bottom of the seal started on to the body opening, making sure the wire ends are on the inside (you are on the inside as well).. With the friend holding pressure on the window, pull on one wire end while holding the other to keep it from pulling around. This will pull the lip of the seal toward you and on to the body opening. Work it around slowly and it should pop right in.

i've NEVER come across one that wasn't epoxied in, from factory.

that rear rubber is just a centering tool and for aesthetics...it should be glued in, unless this magic seal you pulled your JY window with is still good.

installing them SUCKS

i've NEVER come across one that wasn't epoxied in, from factory.

that rear rubber is just a centering tool and for aesthetics...it should be glued in, unless this magic seal you pulled your JY window with is still good.

installing them SUCKS

The MJ i pulled it from was there fo at least 9 years, i know because its the first one i ever saw, and it was dry inside. Maybe there was a really thin adhesive and i didnt notice it or something. But if you guys are telling me there is supposed to be a seal there, then i will put one in. any recommendations?

Erik :beerhead:

I second the adhesive. I remember one at a new car show back in the eighties and there was sealant oozing out everywhere. Then thinking, this is the best the dealeer could provide for this show? Figured it was typical factory quality.

I just replaced my rear glass on my 1991.

There is definitly urathane adhesive there. I have a few years of body shop experince before I did my window and it wasn't too hard.

I went to napa and bought the windshield urathane it was about 15 bucks a tube. I bought 2 and have 1 left over for the front when I get around to it. I also called the Jeep dealer and got a brand new factory gasket for around the window which cost me about 55 dollars.

Now to the fun part. I think when you go to pull out the window out of your good MJ you'll definatly notice where the glue is. Try your best to get a utiliy knife to cut the bead of glue around the glass. That is the hardest part.

Once you get the old glass out you'll want to cut the bead of old urathane down to about 1/8th of an inch above the pinch weld. The new glue will stick better to the old glue than to the old paint.

Now put that gasket on the glass going into the truck and get some duct tape ready.

Your going to want to heat that adhesive up a little. We just had a bucket of sand with a heat lamp on our tubes the whole time but about 90 to 105 is about the right temp. To heat mine I put them in a camp pan filled it with water and set a blow torch next to it and took them out when they were a little hot to the touch.

You'll need a caulk gun put the tubes in there and pierce the end. now put the tips on the tubes and cut a V to lay a bead.

This is TRICKY BUT WORTH IT

Start your bead on the bottom center on the truck. Try to leave one steady bead all the way around the frame on that old glue with out stopping. This will prevent leaks. If you do get a break in the bead overlap and start from the break.

Have a buddy handy for the glass install and make sure the windows are down and the doors open.

Once the bead is layed stick the glass up to the bead and press it in until it looks like it's in the right spot and then TAPE THE SH1T out of it to hold in place. As that urathane cures it has a tendency to expand which will make your glass alignment off.

I hope you opened your doors so you didn't tape your truck shut.

About the windows being down I have never tried but I heard the air pressure of a closing car door is enough to push out a freshly placed glass I guess better safe than sorry.

Now wait about 1.5 hours to drive and I left my tape on over 24 hours and no leaks.

Good luck!!!

how much is it for the rear outter seal of the slider. i know i need one but i don't wanna pay too much for a new one. i also think my leak is fromthe main seal too. not sure I'm gonna ask a glass company when they go to my work.the slider may have to get resealed.not sure though