Tail light removal

I removed the other lens, it came right out. The one I need off though, the 2 screws inside of the tailgate are like welded in... I sprayed a ton of penetrating oil, tapped them with a hammer, pushed as hard as I could and they won't budge. So I started drilling them, well I gave up for tonight, these rusty screws must be made of Titainiam. Yes I have good sharp drill bits too!!! Drill some more tomorrow. :cheers:

I removed the other lens, it came right out. The one I need off though, the 2 screws inside of the tailgate are like welded in... I sprayed a ton of penetrating oil, tapped them with a hammer, pushed as hard as I could and they won't budge. So I started drilling them, well I gave up for tonight, these rusty screws must be made of Titainiam. Yes I have good sharp drill bits too!!! Drill some more tomorrow. :cheers:

Don't "tap" them too hard or you will break the plastic tabs that the screw anchor spring nut is mounted on. Don't ask how I know. :headpop: The spring nut should be replaced as well as the screws.

yeahthat.gif

And if you have a zip wheel, or a small grinder, your better off cutting/grinding off the heads of the screws and just pulling the light right out, and finish taking the screws off with some vicegrips from the spring nuts.

If you slip with the grinder.......a little paint touch up inside the tailgate wouldn't be noticed.

Those screws are harden, that why your having problems drilling them out.

And follow what MJeff mentioned.......install new stainless screws :yes:

• 13 years later...