My 1989 Jeep Comanche Eliminator

OK Well I have seen a few of the Project MJ threads and thought I would share mine...

OK so here Goes....

I bought the truck 5 years ago for $200.00 with a blown engine( and the truck had maybe 200K KM (roughly 125K Miles)

The Truck started out as a 1989 2WD Eliminator that was a Renix 6CYL and a 5 speed Manual…

Before I even drove the truck I knew it was too small and I did want a 4X4, so I installed another MJ Engine that I had in the driveway which was my first MJ but this one was in better shape unfortunately the engine was not a good one but was only temporary… I converted it to 4WD then Converted it to Automatic and I found a 4” kit in the Junkyard in 2WD MJ so I yanked it out and Installed it into my MJ although the rear was just an add a Leaf so I made my own Custom Leafs for the rear (which are still holding up well today) then I ran the stock 235/75/15’s for the first year and it actually looked OK… I then Installed the 31x11.5x15 Truxs StS’s off of my 85 CJ7 after I lifted the CJ and installed some 35’s…

Here is the truck mid lift...

Image Not Found

Now I did not do much to the truck for 4 years other then basic repair stuff and that Temporary Engine was Still going not necessarily Strong but still going, and boy did it make a lot of bottom end noise… So much Noise that the only way to keep it quiet was to run 20/40 diesel Oil but that didn’t last long buy the end of the 4th year I was running 50% 80/90 gear oil and 50% 20/40 just to keep it quiet and lasting as long as I could…. However that lasted about a year without any issues but unrelated to the oil it started to overheat badly after only 10 minutes of driving and I did not want to put anymore cash into this engine so I decided to do an HO swap and I had a 97 Grand Cherokee that I was parting out and the engine only had 150K KM (94K Miles) so I swapped in everything from a 91 XJ for dash and Wiring and The 97 ZJ engine and Had a real nice setup I added a Header and The 99+ Better Intake manifold and It was working mint…

This is the truck as it has been for 4 Years

Image Not Found

But I had bigger Plans for the truck and This setup was in the Jeep for about 6 months then I started tearing it apart again but this time I was going to do what I wanted to do for the last 3 years which was a 97+ front end… So I had already acquired a 98 4 door XJ as my donor truck but let it sit until I was ready but since My CJ was all done with the paint and Linex I decided I would do a complete 98 MJ…

I tore the XJ apart and removed all the Parts I wanted and All the necessary brackets I would need and proceeded to install everything into my MJ all when fairly smoothly just taking a lot of time as I was doing this on my spare time at work… Once all the parts were mocked up I had the entire MJ painted and I stayed with the original colour which was Black and the interior is Grey/black so it worked out anyways…

Here is the Truck when I first started tearing it down for the 98 Parts...

What model rear axle is that? Never seen it before...

That is a Grand Cherokee D44a with 3:73 gears and Disc Brakes...

It is a Great axle swap for those who want a Cheap Correct width D44 with the same 5x4.5 bolt pattern and disc brakes... the ONLY real issue with this axle is aftermarket does not support it much, allthough with more and more 96+ ZJ's starting to get wheeled they are starting to make other gear options but Lockers are still only Made by Aussie Locker and one Chinese knock off company has a Selectable but I am not sure as to the quality...

Many People Knock the D44a because of the center section being Alluminum However I have seen this axle (not mine) driven on for 3 days with NO gear oil and it blew up and then once cooled down it was easily Rebuilt without any issues and is still in use today and that was 5 years ago...

Plus these were ONLY available behind the V8 so it can take pretty much anything you throw at it and I have had 2000lbs in the back of my truck on this axle and it is holding up Just fine...

that black with the chrome grill makes it look damn sexy :brows: , might have to paint mine like that.

I had to break up all the black and man did it look even better then I expected it to... That is not a great pic wait till I get one in the sunlight... I see your in NJ how far from Monclair are you? The girlfriends Sister and Husband Just moved down there and I will be making lots of drives to NJ come Spring time...

Rob (automan) might disagree that that is the only drawback. He's gone through 2 of them so far on his ZJ. :( the bearings give up too easily.

Interesting to know however Everyone drives Differently, as I know a Few Guys Who keep Breaking D60's with 35 spline shafts so anything can have a bad day I guess...

his has little tires on it. just a DD. after the first one went he got another 44a from the junkyard. nope. it was also shot. If I remember right he returned it for, gasp, a Dana 35. :(

but the 44a centersection is used in vettes and vipers, so I don't know what the reason is for the Jeep failures (rob's ZJ isn't the only one). :dunno:

Hummm Well Around here they Seem to be holding up well as I have yet to change one out or do any repairs to them...

It could have been a bad batch of bearings in a specific year too....

I will keep that issue in mind should I have to deal with one...

Just checked it out last week and man was it ever motivation to get mine on the road (and more specifically under the knife for a build but sadly that has to wait). Loving the flairs with the 97+ upgrade, and like others commented the chrome grill seals the package. You'll have to take me around for a test drive. jamminz.gif

Lots of hard work but the end is near..... or at least until you start phase 2, 3, etc....

• 2 weeks later...