Bodywork PSA and What Works, What Doesn't

If you've seen my build thread you know that I'm in the process of bodywork and paint. 

Back in the 80s I painted my Camaro, it turned out OK, I was a kid back then and I had little expectation of myself, that has changed. So, it's not my first go but this time it matters. 

I put it off for two reasons, dread and intimidation, times have changed, materials have changed, I want this one to be right or at least as right as I can get it. 

I've got a POS store brand gun, two of them, one I drilled out for primer, the other I used for base and clear. 

Right or wrong, I used lacquer based primer during the filler process, block sanding after each coat, more bodywork, more lacquer, more sanding......etc..... with the plan of doing a final coat or two of 2K primer. The primer gun does 'OK' with the lacquer but fails with 2K. 

I went to the supply store today to get some seam sealer and the owner had this 3M kit on the counter, I inquired about it, owner swore up and down that it was the best gun on the market. I left with my seam sealer. I got several miles down the road, turned around. 

Gotta tell ya, this cheap gun is the S---! $207.00 OTD and I'm in love with it. 

It may not be a $1000 Sata but it sure behaves like one. 

Consumes 13cfm @ 20psi, you could easily do a panel with a 30gal compressor. Zero, and I mean 0 fog, none. Tips are disposable or reusable, cup is lined, cap has build in strainer, cap and liner are disposable, clean up is a breeze, the gun itself sees no product, only the tip of the needle which gets wiped off. 

As you can see in pics, entire panel is wet, great build up, 2K lays out flat when dried. 

This is the best $200 I've spent in a long time! 

Even if you guys are going to do a driveway paint job...........really, even with this gun, a gal of 2K and a gal of single stage........you're looking at about $400 + sundries. And you'll get a professional looking job that will last longer than rattle cans. 

This gun does such a better job that I'm going to block everything I've done thus far and respray it, it's that good. 

BTW, primer tip, 2.0, is sold separately but is only $5.00

317Bc4Y.jpg

Nql5HVb.jpg

6p5HuHM.jpg

aomtiDH.jpg

N76fh1p.jpg

As to 'what works, what doesn't'. 

Someone suggested stickies, someone else suggested elsewhere that a forum be created for parts that work and ones that fail. 

I'm suggesting we have a general forum for what works, where anyone can post part numbers, products, tools, that just simply work. 

5 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Do you have problems with insects in the paint out in the open like that?

They haven't really given me a problem, and they are swarming now. Stink bugs, lady bugs, wasps, bees.........all looking to hibernate. 

Just primer that will get wet sanded, body shop will do the paint. 

Insects? This time of year?

I'd be more worried about the paint freezing before it sets... An elk hopping my fence and knocking it over, maybe, but the insects are loooooong gone. 

But I support the idea of a "things that work" forum. Don't buy this fuel pump it's garbage and won't fit properly, vs one that actually fits. That sort of thing. 

image.jpeg