Crusty Rubber Brake Lines

Was out in the shop doing some undercarriage inspections on the MJ for class purposes. Noticed my front rubber driver / passenger brake lines were dried out and flaking apart. No leaks, but it's the same with the one attached to the rear axle (the main feed line, I'm assuming). After 27 years, I guess they've about had it.

Would I go about relacing these with steel lines, and if so, does anyone know the size, offhand? I've read fellow members using YJ lines with success, or do they still sell the rubber type ones? :dunno: It seems the deeper I dig, the more I notice needs changing out. I'm just glad I have a shop to do it in now.

Rubber hoses are still readily available . Unless you have a lift where you need more length / durability the stock hoses will be just fine and run under 20 bucks a peice .

Some manufacturers list the front hoses as the same number and require a little modifying to install, although I would recommend buying hoses that list a right and left part numbers .

Was out in the shop doing some undercarriage inspections on the MJ for class purposes. Noticed my front rubber driver / passenger brake lines were dried out and flaking apart. No leaks, but it's the same with the one attached to the rear axle (the main feed line, I'm assuming). After 27 years, I guess they've about had it.

Would I go about relacing these with steel lines, and if so, does anyone know the size, offhand? I've read fellow members using YJ lines with success, or do they still sell the rubber type ones? :dunno: It seems the deeper I dig, the more I notice needs changing out. I'm just glad I have a shop to do it in now.

If you have a lift or plan on doing one you can use the YJ lines.  As for the length difference i am not sure.  

By steel, do you mean rigid (hard) lines (which won't work) or are you thinking of braided stainless steel lines? The braided stainless lines are nothing more than rubber lines with a braided cover. Nice for a show vehicle, but there's no particular advantage to them on a truck that gets driven.

I beg to differ, I actually felt a difference on my comanche, my rubber lines weren't even that old either (less than 2 years old and just driven around town) and this was before I did the 95 XJ dual diaphragm upgrade Russel makes a kit (part number 694850) that will bolt right on I had already tossed out the load sensing valve so I'm not sure if it will work if you still have yours,,, now that I have both I can honestly say it stops on a DIME!!!!

Just looking for stock replacements. I've read about others using YJ lines saying they were good replacements for stock or up to 3" of lift. Now that I know I can still get the rubber ones, those should be more than adequate for my needs. Thanks as usual all.

Doesn't the braided steel prevent the lines from bulging out when under pressure?

Yup, and the theory proves correct it made the pedal more progressive, I would assume the rubber lines are perfectly fine up to a certain PSI then they start to "expand" where as the steel braided ones keep a much more uniform shape  through a much higher PSI, I was a bit biased at first also.