Best Rear End Swap Out For A Stock Dana 35 And Gears

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I bought the 8.25 with the locker and new ring and pinion for 300. They are 4.56 gears though...... Still got the oil leak.... taking it monday to be fixed

I think that is a very good price! You did not go wrong there, especially if it is already set up to use in the MJ>

Make sure your oil leak isn't coming from around the base of the oil filter adappter, a leak there is VERY common, and relatively cheap to fix.

Also make sure your CCV hose isn't plugged, that will build pressure in the engine, push vapor into the air filter box, and oil OUT any marginal leak spots.

On a previous xj (my exgrayxj) it was clogged, I did ssome mods, used a regular pcv valve and a twist in breather at the oil fill hole, cured what I had thought was a rear main seal leak.

I think that is a very good price! You did not go wrong there, especially if it is already set up to use in the MJ>

Make sure your oil leak isn't coming from around the base of the oil filter adappter, a leak there is VERY common, and relatively cheap to fix.

Also make sure your CCV hose isn't plugged, that will build pressure in the engine, push vapor into the air filter box, and oil OUT any marginal leak spots.

On a previous xj (my exgrayxj) it was clogged, I did ssome mods, used a regular pcv valve and a twist in breather at the oil fill hole, cured what I had thought was a rear main seal leak.

Also if the old o ring from the old oil filter stuck to the adaptor when you changed the oil last and the new filter on that can also cause a leak.

Heck yeah I cannot wait for disk brakes...... Its always nice to be able to stop. My brother in- law is a mechanic. He told me not to sweat the oil leak we would clean it up Monday find out where the leak is and take care of it. As soon as the sun comes up I'm going to try and get some pictures of my rig up!

Instead of buying a whole carrier, another way is to purchase a thicker ring gear. This gets you around the carrier break without the extra expense. No strength is or cooling is compromised. When you purchase the new gear set, just specify you want the thicker ring gear.

Instead of buying a whole carrier, another way is to purchase a thicker ring gear. This gets you around the carrier break without the extra expense. No strength is or cooling is compromised. When you purchase the new gear set, just specify you want the thicker ring gear.

Thanks Biotex........ So just tell them I need a "thick ring gear" and this should work out with the factory carrier?

To be honest, I don't know if anyone makes the thick cut ring gear for a D30. I have gone 4.10 from 3.08 in a D44 before, using a thick cut ring gear, but never a D30. I'd give Randy's ring and pinion a call and ask the experts. If you can get the parts, they would know, and stock them. Spacers are not recommended.

Edit:

Here is a link to where they explain this:

http://www.ringpinion.com/technicalhelp/ContentFrame.aspx?FilePath=~%2FContent%2FParts%2FCarriers%2F%2FDo_I_Really_Need_To_Buy_Another_Carrier~.inc

Randy's never called me back..... I am assuming that when I replace the carrier to support 4.56 gears I will have to replace the spider gears too. I am just trying to get a price range on how much this swap is gonna cost me...

As I have said before..... The jeep emblem should be the $ sign.

If you buy a full case locker it will replace the carrier so you won't need one. Also if you go with a lunch box type locker you will need a carrier but you won't need spider gears.

There is no thick gears that I know of for the D30.

So does my shopping list sound correct to support the front end with this 8.25 swap....

1. Carrier that will support 4.56 gears

2. New spider gears for carrier size

3. 4.56 ring and pinion

or

full case locker and ring and pinion