Anyone running 3:55 gears with a 5 speed?

I am getting ready to swap my MJ dana 44 and my 97 TJ dana 30 onto my 88 comanche. Both axles have 3:55 gearing. I currently have 3:07 gearing and 5th gear is useless with the 31's. Will I see any difference with the 3:55 gears?

I am getting ready to swap my MJ dana 44 and my 97 TJ dana 30 onto my 88 comanche. Both axles have 3:55 gearing. I currently have 3:07 gearing and 5th gear is useless with the 31's. Will I see any difference with the 3:55 gears?

yep, you'll like it.

my bro is going to 3.73's though from 3.07's with his 5 speed---we got the 3.73 axles cheap/free

It'll put you back close to "stock."

I ran 31s with 3.73 gears. In terms of RPM-to-MPH, the final drive ratio in 5th gear was exactly the same as my wife's stock XJ with auto and 3.55 gears on stock tires. You'll see an improvement over 3.07s, but 3.73s or even 4.10s would be a far better choice IMHO.

• 3 weeks later...

I went from 3.07s to 3.55s and couldn't be happier! It's close to stock as far as the speedo is concerned and I can actually use 5th gear now. And yes, you can swap the rear and wait for the front, just don't engage the case and you'll be fine.

I went from 3.07s to 3.55s and couldn't be happier! It's close to stock as far as the speedo is concerned and I can actually use 5th gear now. And yes, you can swap the rear and wait for the front, just don't engage the case and you'll be fine.

Did u swap the whole axle or re-gear? If u swapped axles were they XJ or mJ? I really want to learn to re-gear but aint real hip with setting backlash

3.55 geared XJ axles are everywhere and can be cheaper than regearing, even if you do it yourself.

I'd go for a 29 spline 8.25 axle from a 97-01 XJ if I could find a cheap one and then match that off with a Dana 30 from any year that came with the 297 joints.

"If you're going to build it, build it right." :D

3.55 geared XJ axles are everywhere and can be cheaper than regearing, even if you do it yourself.

I'd go for a 29 spline 8.25 axle from a 97-01 XJ if I could find a cheap one and then match that off with a Dana 30 from any year that came with the 297 joints.

"If you're going to build it, build it right." :D

The boneyards around here never have any Jeeps that new in them so I'll probly have to settle for what I can get. I'm going tomorrow to see what I can find. I also will be getting a clock and cig lighter socket - NEITHER OF WHICH THIS TRUCK HAS! Was a cig lighter actually an option??? :huh???:

I used an 8.25 out of an XJ (not sure what year) and a 30 out of an '86 to '89 MJ... I did the whole axle swap for the same reason.

I'd like to find a Ford 8.25 but like I've said a hundred times there just aint none in the boneyards here so I'll look for the ol reliable D35 with 3.55's. I did however score major parts today in a junkyard run but thats a bigass post yet to come I just gotta get pics after the works done.

The 8.25 is a chrysler axle and you're almost as likely to find it under that random XJ as the Dana 35. The 8.8 is the ford one found under Explorers.

Is that the one with the disc brakes? There are a few ZJ's at the yard. I wonder, nah too much hassle to spring

The 8.25 is a chrysler axle and you're almost as likely to find it under that random XJ as the Dana 35. The 8.8 is the ford one found under Explorers.

Is that the one with the disc brakes? There are a few ZJ's at the yard. I wonder, nah too much hassle to spring

The 8.25 as used in the XJ did not have disc brakes.

Dunno if they ever used the 8.25 in the ZJ. I believe the ZJs all got either the Dana 35 or the crappy aluminum "Dana 44"

The 8.25 as used in the XJ did not have disc brakes.

Dunno if they ever used the 8.25 in the ZJ. I believe the ZJs all got either the Dana 35 or the crappy aluminum "Dana 44"

Yea I know all that. I was just thinkin out loud. The ZJ's all had the quadralink which was eight control arms. Coils all four corners, and on most - 4whl disc. Trust me I know this stuff. I was just sayin I wouldnt want to convert ZJ to XJ rear springs. Coils in the rear would be cool but that would involve arms - one way or the other control or long but arms either way