10lb Co2 tank question...

I've heard that Co2 is bad for tires though, is there any truth to this?

Not true. CO2 vapor is inert (non-toxic, non-corrosive). CO2 vapor is perfectly safe for your tires and wheels. CO2 undergoes a phase change from liquid to gas once it exits the regulator.

I'd say that I have less than $250 in my York OBA. That's including compressor, bracket, air tank, hose, fittings, etc.

One thing I did notice about CO2. It seemed that it would leak out of the tires over a period of time. Something about the size of CO2 molecules, as compared to air molecules.

I asked a biology professor and he said that CO2 molecules were smaller. He thought I was :nuts: when I told him about putting CO2 in tires.

A couple of guys I know will put nothing but nitrogen into their tires. I don't think I'd ever go that far.

I have heard people refer to compressed air as nitrogen, and air is in fact almost 80% nitrogen gas. A nitrogen molecule (N2), however, is *smaller* than a CO2 molecule, meaning nitrogen and air (about 20% O2, 80% N2) will leak out faster than pure CO2. With tires, though, I don't really think it makes much difference because of the thickness of the rubber, but with balloons it will be noticeable.

Nitrogen expands 7 times as it leaves the storage bottle. CO2 expands 40 times. So in a tank the same size C02 will last much much longer than Nitrogen does. 1 full tank of C02 is equivalent to 3 full tanks of Nitrogen (same size tanks). Not to mention it costs less too. And it's stored at lower pressure (safer).

Just to clarify; Nitrogen and C02 is NOT the same thing.

I run the Motion C02 tank and I must say it's VERY nice to have a portable system. I use it in the MJ if where wheeling that, if not it goes into it's mount in the XJ. Nice to be able to take it in whatever rig I'm wheeling that weekend.

As far as a C02 tank vs. an OBA setup. Lets just run the #'s.

Motion Kit - $160

OBA Kit - aprox $500 for everything (compressor, tank, hose, fitting, etc.)

So for a price difference of $340.

Lets just say it cost $15 to fill the C02 tank. You can fill it 22 times for the price difference of $340. So depending on how much you wheel/use your tank on a yearly basis... I have not filled mine more than 3 times a year. So we'll just say 3 times a year is average. That's 7 years. So it would take 7 years of C02 tank usage to break even for the cost of an OBA setup. Not to mention it's NOT portable.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a killer OBA setup with a huge tank and a compressor that runs at 100% duty cycle. But bang for the buck I think a C02 tank is a much better option. Thats why I went that route. Yes it does cost $$ to run it; however I'd rather save now and have saved my money in the long run over 7 years. :D

yeah, i see where CO2 has its benifits for sure and I'm looking at having you guys getting me a 20lb kit goin. but for things like lockers, ExtremeFlow OBA setup is :drool:.

I have $120 in my OBA. You can build a sandan style system with tank real cheap.

Tanks have a huge benefit of being portable....It is always the last Jeep in the bunch that needs air!

So......Motion OffRoad, who makes your regulators? Care to answer?

Alright finally found this thread again. Alright question is my buddy has a tank from his kegrator and I was thinking of useing it for a trail CO2 tank. Would that work for me, it;s a bigger tank which is what I would like. Can get a pic later of it, but what should I look for on it to ensure it could work for me?

• 4 weeks later...
IDK anything about co2 setups. If i got a motion 10 pound tank, then what else would i need to get it completely setup?

From the 1st page. :cheers:

What else is needed....

A hose and an air chuck. Depending on what type of hose you decide to run a little brass adapter may be needed and is available at your hardware store for a few bucks. We don't include hoses with our tanks as we've found that some customers don't like the coiled hoses and prefer to run a shorter non-coiled hose. Figured it is easier for us to just let the customer decide what they want and cut the price down even more.

:oops: Sorry to ask a question more than once. :oops: :dunce:

Not that we don't mind you asking question more than once who cares ask it, just remember to help yourself first such as perhaps reading the the thread your posting in first. No big deal :cheers: