Lowering my MJ

So I know alot of people are against this, but what is 2 wheel drive truck good for anyways? So I was wondering what's the best way to lower an MJ? I only want 2 to 3 inches. I don't want to lower it so much that I can't haul stuff in it anymore. Do they make lowering kit? Or maybe get lowering springs for an XJ and just use blocks in the rear?

Chris

Amazingly enough, 'some' people (actually like 95% of the population) have no use for a 4wd vehicle. If he has no use for one, then lower away...

I've seen F-150 coils cut down for the front, and a guy could build a hybrid leaf pack for the rear to lower it without (ugh) blocks. And XJ shackles will drop it a half inch in the rear too. Just watch the oil pan clearance in the front.

If the body is solid, I'd like the 4wd conversion better, but to each his own.

I'd use blocks in the back, probably use the stock springs on front, but cut some off them to make them shorter.

Amazingly enough, 'some' people (actually like 95% of the population) have no use for a 4wd vehicle. If he has no use for one, then lower away...

I've seen F-150 coils cut down for the front, and a guy could build a hybrid leaf pack for the rear to lower it without (ugh) blocks. And XJ shackles will drop it a half inch in the rear too. Just watch the oil pan clearance in the front.

I brought up the 4wd conversion because it seemed he implied it wasn't any good because it was 2wd

F150 coils are too stiff even when used at full length. Cutting coil springs makes them stiffer -- not a good route.

Find a set of 4-cylinder XJ springs and cut them, perhaps, or use TJ (Wrangler) springs -- I know TJ lift springs don't provide as much lift in an XJ as they do in a TJ, so a stock TJ spring should lower an XJ or MJ about two inches (I think).

Simplest way in back is blocks. But be careful with aluminum blocks. One of the guys in NAXJA had used them for a budget lift in his XJ. We were out at Paragon for NACFest, and his blocks literally disintegrated. The ones you can buy these days are mostly aluminum, which doesn't get along well with road salt in the winter. The salt/snow mix just turned them into powder.

A better way, I think, would be to get a set of XJ rear springs and substitute the XJ leaves for all except the main leaf in the MJ. XJ springs are designed to sit flat rather than arched. Disclaimer: I have not done this one. I am certain it will produce some reduction in ride height, but I have no idea how much.

How much will ZJ springs lower it in the front and does it matter what year they're from? There's a few sets on Ebay that are dirt cheap.

Chris

ZJ rears in the front will drop a 4cyl about 2 inches. At least that's what it did when I helped do it. No promises.

The 4WD conversion may be in the future. I may be getting another MJ for free, but for now it's too pricey, and I like the look of lowered vehicles. Thanks for all the tips.

Chris

Don't lower it by cutting any stock parts if you're going to convert to 4WD down the road. If you go 4WD you will have to UN-lower it. Otherwise the oil pan will be banging on the front differential. You can't lower a 4WD MJ by more than about an inch without having problems.