Adding a 1" lift question

I have dealt with Rocky-Road Outfittes before and as long as they have it in stock they are good. I have used their spacers and never had a problem with them.

Shackles are pretty hard to screw up too. $90 is a pretty good deal on the parts. Remember it's not really the lift that will kill your gas mileage but rather the running of larger tires and adding weight.

There's PLENTY of clearance in the back to run up to 31x10.50R15 tires with no lift at all. Actually, you can in the front, too, but it looks a bit cramped. I wouldn't even bother to lift the back. Front coil spacers basically come in 3/4" and 1-3/4" heights (often rounded up to 1" and 2"). I've seen the 3/4" spacers for as low as $18/pair. Personally, I'd leave the rear alone and just thriw a set of 3/4" spacers in the front. Run 30x9.50s on a set of rims with a bit less backspacing than stock and you'll have the "aggressive" look without fear of altitude sickness.

Lots of follow-up questions on this...

1. Eagle, if I just add 3/4" spacers in the front and do nothing to the rear, will the truck still be level? This sounds like a VERY stupid question as I type it!!!

1A. Where do I get a set of rims "with a bit less backspacing than stock"? Is there a specific measurement or type of rim I should look for?

2. Op4guy, I agree with you on PB BLaster-it is the best spray lube on the market. However, I just removed my 6' bed and PB Blaster couldn't loosen 19+ years worth of crud on the bolts. I had to use a propane torch and air wrench to remove them.

I'll have pics posted this weekend of my project.

i took the stock spacers out and put 2 inch coil spacers. mine sits nicly. but i wanna put either the stock ones in it too or get xj coils to really level mine out. check it out on my cardomain web site. it sits with out stock spacers and with 2 inch coil spacers.

Only thing I'd recommend is if your adding a rear shackle is to go with a greaseable one. You'll thank yourself later that it's greaseable as they are much more quieter and the bushings last much much longer.

As far the front coil spacers go make sure they are notched on one side as if they are fully round that will not fit on the MJ or XJ correctly.

Here is a photo of our spacers to show what I'm talking about.

coil_spacer.jpg

Hey Motion Offroad, would these work together on my '89 MJ?

Spacers:

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... ducts_id=6

Shackles:

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index. ... cts_id=129

Yes both will work.

However an XJ shackle will not lift the MJ as much as it does an XJ. Common rule is deduct about 3/4" from what an XJ shackle advertises as lift; that will tell you the amount of lift you'll receive on an MJ.

So the TeraFlex shackles you linked above will net you aprox. 3/4" of lift on your MJ.

Also FYI if you plan on ordering from us to save a few bucks - http://motionoffroad.wordpress.com/2008 ... ne-orders/

OK 31's clear fine up front.. but a spacer makes it look better. If you want to get a 2" lift try using some mid 80's drop shackles... The last set I used measured 8 3/4 eye to eye.. and had another hole 1" lower then that :D

You have to think outside the box when it comes to a lot of lift parts for the rear

1. Eagle, if I just add 3/4" spacers in the front and do nothing to the rear, will the truck still be level? This sounds like a VERY stupid question as I type it!!!

It depends.

In stock trim, assuming the springs haven't sagged, both the XJ and the MJ have some forward rake built in. The MJ has more, since it's designed to carry more weight. If you park on a level surface, make certain that all four tires are the same size and same pressure, and measure from the floor to the rocker panel, you should find that the front is lower than the rear.

I think a 3/4" spacer in the front will just bring it closer to level.

As you can see, I prefer lower vehicles on bigger tires. Don't forget that any lift will screw up your alignment. The taller the lift, the more it changes.

My 90 4x4 on Jeep 15x6s and 31x10.5" tires with stock lower control arms.

My 90 4x4 on Jeep 15x7s and 31x10.5" tires with WJ lower control arms (they have a bend in them that keeps the tires from rubbing)

My 86 4x4 on Jeep 15x6s and 31x11.5" tires.

My 88 2wd (sits one inch lower than 4wds) with 15x7 Jeep rims and 30x9.5" tires

i have 215/70r16s on it. i will bee putting on 225/75 16s soon the will match the height of my 235/75r15s. it has fairly new leafs in the rear. thats why i put spacers in the front. i kknow i could fit prob 31s under it no problem.i bought the spacers from someone i worked with.

Pete -- the rims in ALL FOUR of your pics are 15x7. The ONLY 6" steel wheel used on the XJ and MJ was the one with nine rectangular slots around the outer portion of the web.

Take a close look at the rims, right by the valve stem. The size should be stamped into the steel.

In stock trim, assuming the springs haven't sagged, both the XJ and the MJ have some forward rake built in. The MJ has more, since it's designed to carry more weight. If you park on a level surface, make certain that all four tires are the same size and same pressure, and measure from the floor to the rocker panel, you should find that the front is lower than the rear.

I think a 3/4" spacer in the front will just bring it closer to level.

You might want to measure your rig and compare to the stock height first to see how much the leafs and coils have sagged like this:

COMANCHE STOCK HEIGHT

Front: Measure from top of axle tube to underside of frame rail, inboard of the coil spring. Do NOT measure from the diff housing or shift motor housing. 2WD models should be 6-3/4" plus or minus 1/2". 4WD models should be 7-3/4" plus or minus 1/2".

Rear: Measure the vertical distance between the top of the axle tube and the underside of the frame rail inboard of the jounce bumper. 2WD models should be 8.2" plus or minus 1/2". 4WD models should be 9.2 inches plus or minus 1/2".