Run your car/truck on water

Virginia

I have seen the videos probably 2 years ago. It is possible, but will never see major manufacturing as the government will find a way to kill it because it will take too much money away from them and their pals in big oil :roll: .

I have a friend with a hydrogen fuel cell in his land rover, he's currently getting 50 to 60 mpg and yes, it DID work for him.

i didn't really believe it and i DO think it will wreck his motor, but it's worked so far for him and emissions actually is close to zero

That site is a SCAM. The laws of physics state that you can't get something for nothing. There's no way to use the battery to produce H2 to put into the engine to turn the alternator to charge the battery to produce H2. It's a losing proposition. The Mythbusters did an episode where they covered it. Google it and see.

i don't know that i would trust that site, but the concept does work. there's a guy around my area who gets 33 mpg with his v8-powered, carb'ed motor home between a combination of this concept (except using a separate high output alternator) and a home brewed multiple displacement system that works effectively as a 4 cylinder on grades no more than 15% while cruising. done properly, it's not harmful to the engine, either. i should note this guy uses specifically distilled water.

No one can make H2 with electrolysis using the car's engine and come out in the positive. It breaks the laws of physics because it takes more energy to make the H2 than you can get from it in propulsion. That's a negative gain.

Shutting down 4 cylinders on the other hand... :brows:

That site is a SCAM. The laws of physics state that you can't get something for nothing. There's no way to use the battery to produce H2 to put into the engine to turn the alternator to charge the battery to produce H2. It's a losing proposition. The Mythbusters did an episode where they covered it. Google it and see.

Pete, I haven't reviewed the site, and it likely is a scam, but your critique appears to ignore the fact that the engine is still running on gasoline. As I understand it, the process uses the power from the alternator to electrolyze the water, and produce H2.

The normal alternator, running on a normal engine, is often producing wasted energy, as it produces much more power than is needed to power the electrics and recharge the battery. So what's wrong with rechanneling some of that wasted energy into electrolysis?

I'm still pretty skeptical, but the theory isn't trying to produce something from nothing; rather it appears to try to make the entire engine system more efficient by capturing wasted power.

the mythbusters episode tests one particular internet kit. however, that doesn't disprove the theory of using hydrogen to produce a more efficient combustion of fuel. running strictly off of hydrogen, while possible and being developed for release in 2013 by GM, would not work with this kind of device. it also is not perpetual motion because it still requires fuel to be added and spent, both gas and the HHO.

I wonder how badly this messes with your O2 sensor, causing the computer to ignore the out of spec reading and running in open loop.

Open loop will run a richer mixture, causing a drop in fuel economy.

If you have a check engine light, I would it expect to come on as well.

The alternator can only produce so much H2. I have strong doubts that it's enough to actually affect anything in any way.

Also, it doesn't make any sense that GM or Ford wouldn't be jumping all over this crap to make their big trucks get 40 mpg. Or are they in kahutes (sp?) with big oil? :roll: Maybe big oil is secretly balancing out the big 3's losses with oil's huge profits? :yes:

The alternator can only produce so much H2. I have strong doubts that it's enough to actually affect anything in any way.

I definitely agree with this. Unless they are exploiting some previously unknown synergistic effect, where the H2 gas is causing a more efficient burn.

But still, increased gas mileage? The amount of gasoline fed in for each intake stroke is dependent on the mixture control and the volume of air. Don't see how the inclusion of H2 would affect anything in this equation.

Also, it doesn't make any sense that GM or Ford wouldn't be jumping all over this crap to make their big trucks get 40 mpg. Or are they in kahutes (sp?) with big oil? :roll: Maybe big oil is secretly balancing out the big 3's losses with oil's huge profits? :yes:

Cahoots? You mean you haven't known this all along? :brows:

well, gm does now have a hybrid tahoe with 21 mpg which is about 8 mpg more than regular. they also are developing a hydrogen car for release in 2013, and they have a deal with shell oil for selling hydrogen for them. it will take some time, but the tech is coming.

as for the alt producing enough hydrogen to supplement, it is possible. note i did say he used a carb not fuel injection, which bypasses the o2 sensor, computer correction issue. without re-programing the computer, doing something like this on a fuel injected vehicle would probably have very little benefit, if any at all.

as for the alt producing enough hydrogen to supplement, it is possible.

I disagree. I've watched the electrolysis in action and my engine sucks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more air than these devises can produce. Besides, what keeps the H2 from combining with 02 in the intake air and forming water before it ever reaches the engine?

Bottom line, when a legitimate and trustworthy source like popular mechanics or a scientific newspaper says that this is for real, I'll believe. When fly-by-night websites and youtube videos are selling the concept, it's bunk.

well, gm does now have a hybrid tahoe with 21 mpg which is about 8 mpg more than regular. they also are developing a hydrogen car for release in 2013, and they have a deal with shell oil for selling hydrogen for them. it will take some time, but the tech is coming.

as for the alt producing enough hydrogen to supplement, it is possible. note i did say he used a carb not fuel injection, which bypasses the o2 sensor, computer correction issue. without re-programing the computer, doing something like this on a fuel injected vehicle would probably have very little benefit, if any at all.

Not sure I understand your point. I have a Highlander Hybrid that gets 23-25 mpg which is 8 or so mpg better than the regular Highlander, but it has zip to do with electrolyzing water to produce hydrogen gas.

And the hydrogen technology that is coming on-line is stored hydrogen, not produced on-board via electrolysis.

And I've done electrolysis experiments in HS science class, and with standard power supplies the H2 production is pretty slow.

I wonder if Myth Busters has anything to say about this technology.

They may not be around in 2013. Too little and way too late.

as for the alt producing enough hydrogen to supplement, it is possible.

I disagree. I've watched the electrolysis in action and my engine sucks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more air than these devises can produce. Besides, what keeps the H2 from combining with 02 in the intake air and forming water before it ever reaches the engine?

Yes Electrolysis Is a extremely Slow Process Let Me find that video....

This is hondas First Model that will be coming out and is already out. Now it does not produce its own Hydrogen you must refuel it at a station. Now this car Produces Water out of the tail pipe It is safe to drink. ( bit of a Oily Taste) Anyways. you could build your own Hydrogen Refueling station But it would have to be Big in order to supply your car With a sufficient Amount of Hydrogen.

Then again Most Hydrogen powered cars are also using electric engines. To help Out the hydrogen.