how long are your coils

ok so my MJ is way tall in the front and as i didn't build it and the guy who did has since passed away

i want to lower it don't really want to cut coils

so if a few of you with 4 6 and 8 " coils can measure them with the truck sitting n them i can see what i need to order

Coil length/height is somewhat irrelevant. It's based on the coil spring rate the coils are.

For instance a RE 3.5" coil and a RE 4.5" coil are only 1/8" difference in length; however they do lift a full 1" between the two. No two manufactures run the same coil spring rates.

The only real way to tell what size coils you have is to find a common point (most measure flare) and than compare it to stock.

there is no trying to fit it all ready has 38s

it just has to much lift in the front id like to lower it a lot il thinking about 4" in the front how ever its ard to tell

i will be swaping in dana 44s front and rear so it will handel the rubber

Measure from the center of your front hubs to the bottom edge of the flares. That's your reference dimension.

Take out your front coils and cut a half coil off each spring. Put 'em back in and measure again. That probably won't drop it as much as you want, but it'll give you an idea how much drop you'll get per coil.

Just remember that when you cut, the spring gets stiffer. If the coils are 1" apart, cutting one coil probably won't drop it a full inch.

Measuring someone else's coils won't help you much. Coil spring rate is a function of a complicated formula that includes the free length of the spring, the number of coils, the diameter of the wire and the diameter of the coils. I don't have the formula in front of me, but one of those variables in the formula is to the 4th power. If any factor of another spring is different from yours (wire diameter, for example), comparing them is a waste of everyone;s time and effort.

i guess i should have worded my first question diffrent

i don't want to cut these coials down

i need to figure out how much lift i need to level this darn thing out

its a 89 comanche with stock mj leafs soa with a 2" block

i guss i was wanting the mesure ment from the coial mount to the top of the coil mount at rest

if there is a easier way i am all over it

ok here is waht i have

from the ground to the bottom of the flair

48"

from the center of the hub to the bottom of the flair

30" approx

if this help i can get more mesurments

Measuring to the bushwackers isn't much help as you have to trim to fit the BW's and not many people on here run them.

Measure from a common point (like the tip on the fender above the light).

Going SOA in the rear a 6.5" coil is typically used and it looks fairly level. I'd say if you have a 2" block plus SOA in the rear you'd need a 8" coil in the front to make it level. However it depends on the condition of the rear packs and if they were 2wd or 4wd packs to begin with.

It looks like you have plenty of room. Why not remove the blocks in the rear and just run a 6.5" coil in the front and lower the center of gravity a bit and have a much more stable and capable trail rig?

58.5 to the top of the hood

ya its pretty tall i will mesure the top of the hood and the body line

the rear has 2' block that i will remove but when i fix the rear shackel angle it will pick it back up

the truck was orignaly a long box so the spring monts are not stock

None of the measurements you have provided tell us anything, because any tire size other than "stock" (which could be any of several different sizes) means measurements to body parts will be affected even with no lift.

If you don't want to cut the coils, what DO you want to do? Are you looking for advice on replacement springs to buy?

yes i would like to purchas coials to lower and replace my current coials

wich are to stiff dut to the fact there are a lift coial for a f150

I was wanting the mesurment of a coial installed from mount to mout. That would be the same rig to rig becous every thing else has been modified. Weight would be close on all 4.0 rigs or at least close enugh for my needs.

In my mind this would have been the easies way to figure it out.

I do not have aney tires that arent 38s that will bolt on the rig. If i did i would have given mesurments with them installed.

i am sorry for aney missunderstanding

my 6.5in coils are 18.5in from top to bottom.

thank you verry much

that means to get my 20" ill need ither a 6.5 and spacers or 8" coial

We've tried to tell you that coil length is somewhat irrelevant.

Measuring someone else's coils won't help you much. Coil spring rate is a function of a complicated formula that includes the free length of the spring, the number of coils, the diameter of the wire and the diameter of the coils. I don't have the formula in front of me, but one of those variables in the formula is to the 4th power. If any factor of another spring is different from yours (wire diameter, for example), comparing them is a waste of everyone;s time and effort.

Just to help this along, the ZJ rear coils that I used to LOWER my '88 by 2" were 14" tall uncompressed, out of the truck. It's all about spring rates here.

and that is all i wanted was coial lingth with them in a rig it gives me a base to try to go from

coial rate chenges the dims on a un loded coial but once you put weight on a coial it will sit at a lingth to give suck amount of lift

so in this instance rate dosent mean jack

all i need to know is how much approx lift i want from there i will have custom coials made but with no way of figuring out how much lift i have its really hard to do

so now with getting 5 mesurments from diffrent rigs with 6.5" lift there all around 18' so if i go with a 8" coial i will get the 20' i need from mount to mount

thank you verry much

that means to get my 20" ill need ither a 6.5 and spacers or 8" coial

for thr record i know how to couculate coial rate.

however a 4.0 jeep is going to weigh about the same so rate is rate if there coial is 18" installed in the rig with weight on it and you mesure mount to mount it is the same as hub to fender or ground to fend to give you an approx lift amount

• 3 weeks later...