What size thread for shift knob?

For the tranny shifter, they are all the same -- doesn't matter if it's a BA 10/5, an AX-5 or an AX-15. It's metric, I remember that for sure, and I also remember that my parts guru at the dealership had a helluva time figuring out what it was. It's too small to be 12mm (that's almost 1/2", so I'm going to guess it has to be either 10mm or 8mm but I don't have a clue what thread pitch.

i went through this with my jeep for me it was all painted which made the threads extra large, i ended up running a tap ((I believe 3/8 coarse) over it. don't worry it was the same thread pitch and diameter i just needed to get all the paint off. then most shifters will fit on there.

Not a highjack, but roughly the same topic, what about the AW4 column shifter MJs? Is the knob threaded at all? How do ya get it off?

Its SPLINED, NOT threaded. Just pull it off. It is glued and will not come easily.

When mine fell off and I put on a large wooden "egg".

CW

so can i make a ba10 shift knob (with the 5 speed markings and pentagon shape) work on the ax15

Yes, but why would you want to? The original shift knobs for the BA 10/5 years are rubber, with a ceramic insert around a steel insert. The ceramic breaks, the rubber pulls off, and then you have to buy a whole new knob because there's no good way to repair them. (Believe me, I have tried.)

I've swapped all mine over to the new style. Do it once and it's done.

Not a highjack, but roughly the same topic, what about the AW4 column shifter MJs? Is the knob threaded at all? How do ya get it off?

Its SPLINED, NOT threaded. Just pull it off. It is glued and will not come easily.

When mine fell off and I put on a large wooden "egg". CW

Thanks CW. :bowdown:

When mine fell off and I put on a large wooden "egg". CW

Thanks CW. :bowdown:

My pleasure!! :cheers: :cheers:

My solution was to just go to the local parts store and buy a universal HURST T-handle kit. Had all the different size inserts to fit essentially any shifter; I think it was the blue insert that was used for my AX5.

Yeah, that would look great on an AW4 column shifter lever..............

Hey fellows.

I used a two part epoxy to glue my original knob back on just last Sunday. I have a column shifter on my 91. Put teflon tape on the splines and shaft, covered it with epoxy and plugged the knob right back on. Had to hold it in place for 2 minutes, but it was fine in 5 minutes.