Hot Air Tube source???

This part on my ’89 Jeep MJ with the 4.0 engine is beyond repair.

The Hot Air Tube that attaches from the side of the Air Cleaner to the engine-just under the manifold is listed for $38.13 on the Mopar Genuine Parts website. It's displayed as part # 2 in the image below.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ ... eid=214583

It is listed as Part # 5300 4839 in the factory manual and is superseded by Part # 5014915AA

Is there a cheaper source for this part? Keep in mind that it has hot engine gasses running through it.

Have you used this part before? It looks like that cheapo slinky type of material.

The factory hose has built-in clamps on either end and a black plastic over-tube that snaps into the air cleaner box.

Have you used this part before? It looks like that cheapo slinky type of material.

I have a similar type item on my 89 from the local Federated parts store. Seems to work well, I just used hose clamps to secure it. I wouldn't pay $38 for one.

The factory hose has built-in clamps on either end and a black plastic over-tube that snaps into the air cleaner box.

Hey man, you were looking for a cheap alternative. Yes I have and it works. If it's too cheapo, get the part from the dealer. Jeesh........

Hey man, you were looking for a cheap alternative. Yes I have and it works. If it's too cheapo, get the part from the dealer. Jeesh........

Hey hornbrod, your 1300th post and it's an aggravated one :razz: :cheers:

hornbrod, I appreciate your help. I just wasn't sure if it works. As long as it works, I'll use it. Thanks for your help.

Always glad to help mate. Love your avatar, and love the Pats, except when they play the NY Football Giants. :cheers:

Hey hornbrod, your 1300th post and it's an aggravated one.

AAAAAAARG - sorry if it sounded aggravated. Maybe not enough HighLife yet. :cheers: Dayem, 1300? Freakin' amazin'. Time flie when you're having fun. I love this place..... :D

After I hook up my rustys air tube do I just leave this part there? or take it off all together? Not trying to hi-jack your thread but if you can just dispose of it with the air tube, you may consider that.

Mine has the slinky looking stuff too. I thought it was the original. :roll:

I just did this to my truck, being in NC it doesn't get all that cold down here.. I removed the hose, vac line, and trap door vac diaphragm on my air box. Going to cut out some plastic and seal the holes on it tomorrow. I can get you some pictures right quick if you want.. I have the air box right here beside me from where I cleaned it and prepped it for paint after the rain stops.

This reminds me of a question I was going to ask one of you guys,,, Theres a round metal valve of some sorts thats on the back side of the airbox that two lines goto,, EDIT:: It's #8 on the first post one being the vac line to that warm air valve (the valve for that tube in discussion) I think its clogged because I can't get any air to push through it...

Whats its purpose??????EDIT:: I see its a temp sensor now,,, so I guess I would have to heat it up to check it right???

jtdesigns, why did you remove all of thise parts? I know that NC is a heck of a lot warmer than up here in the northeast, but wouldn't you need all that crap for the engine to idle correctly?

As far as what part # 8 does-I'm afraid we might need to wait for Eagle or PeteM to clue us in!

that hose never quite made it back onto my truck after i replaced the manifold. i live in nh and have had no idling problems ever, it got pretty chilly up here this winter too. this topic has come up before and i know I'm not the only one who never put the hose back on

Well I painted the air box, and covered the big hole that was left on the air introduction on the box.. here's some pictures!!

Image Not Found

going to wait wait till the rtv cures and clean it up a bit..

here's the final outcome... Matches the VC perfectly! :D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

jamminz.gif