title issues...

JeepcoMJ

This is one reason I now ALWAYS file a "Report of Sale" the instant funds change hands (you can do it online in Washington State).

I did not do that ONCE........two years later the vehicle was abandoned and the tow company came after ME for the towing and storage fees.....even though I SOLD the vehicle but because I hadn't filed the report of sale and the person I sold the vehicle to never transfered the title I got SCREWED. (I still owe the towing company something like $900 for a $200 car).

I gave a travel trailer to some "friends" 2 years ago and they abandoned it when they moved. They never transfered the title. I had reported the "sale" to the state and the towing company got the report of sale and went after them at thier new address instead of me.

The MJ STILL BELONGS to the owner whose name appears on the Title at the last Registration. Two signatures on a title DO NOT make a legal owner out of the moron kid, all that says is that an agreement was struck but never followed through on.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The back of the title form is a legal transfer of ownership document. Once the name of a buyer is filled in and the seller signs and dates it, that is a legal document that says ownership has been transferred to the person listed as the buyer. (In this case, the aforementioned "moron," although in this case he's really not a moron because he didn't do anything wrong.)

The fact that the transfer of ownership has not been recorded at the DMV does not make it invalid, "wrong," or nonexistent.

Let's say the original owner (the "seller" on the title form) were to show up at the moron's house and try to take the MJ back. The moron calls the cops. The cops say "Who owns the vehicle?" The seller says "I do." The moron shows them the title form, dated 8 months ago, with the seller's signature that he sold the truck to the moron.

Who do you think the cops are going to say owns the truck?

Most of you are still confusing registration with ownership. They are not the same thing. There is no "fine for not registering" a motor vehicle. There is a fine if you are caught driving an unregistered motor vehicle, but not for just buying a vehicle and letting it rest. I have ten or twelve Jeeps here at the moment (please, someone, buy a couple of them!). You don't think I registered all of them the day I bought them, do you? I haven't broken any motor vehicle laws by not registering them. (If I drive one on the street, that's another story.)

Stay focused on the issue. The issue is the TITLE. Registration is not the issue. The fact this other kid was driving an unregistered vehicle is not the issue, and it's better to not mention that. It will only cause confusion.

Pat - CALL THE DMV AND ASK ABOUT A FORM FOR SUPPLEMENTAL TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP. That's what we're talking about here, and it should be as simple as dirt.

The MJ STILL BELONGS to the owner whose name appears on the Title at the last Registration. Two signatures on a title DO NOT make a legal owner out of the moron kid, all that says is that an agreement was struck but never followed through on.

Sorry, but you are wrong. The back of the title form is a legal transfer of ownership document. Once the name of a buyer is filled in and the seller signs and dates it, that is a legal document that says ownership has been transferred to the person listed as the buyer. (In this case, the aforementioned "moron," although in this case he's really not a moron because he didn't do anything wrong.)

The fact that the transfer of ownership has not been recorded at the DMV does not make it invalid, "wrong," or nonexistent.

Let's say the original owner (the "seller" on the title form) were to show up at the moron's house and try to take the MJ back. The moron calls the cops. The cops say "Who owns the vehicle?" The seller says "I do." The moron shows them the title form, dated 8 months ago, with the seller's signature that he sold the truck to the moron.

I think Brg lives in PA ,where I'm not sure but I believe you have to get it notarized or it doesn't mean squat. That might mean that the "moron" would get screwed in PA unless it was notarized. Maybe that's why BRG thinks that . rtft.gif :dunno:

Edit:sorry didnt read the rest of the post. :oops:

the kid is a kinda an idiot because he drove an unregistered vehicle.

anyways. if it's gonna be this much hassle for a $100 vehicle, i'm gonna scrap it. I won't pay for HIM to register it, when he already should have done that. and he sure isn't gonna do it.

i hate retards. he didn't tell me about this crap until I was supposed to get it.

blah.

My advice to anyone who buys/sells/trades/giveaway a vehicle is always to get a bill of sale. It doesnt have to be anythig fancy, just as long as you have the other person sign and date it. I strip a lot of vehicles, and the person who I get the vehicle from doesn't always have/or want to find a title to give me. As long as I get said vehicles for parts/salvage it doesnt matter.

IN VA the down side to titling a vehicle in your name you don't plan on driving is, you pay sales tax, and fees you don't need to. YOu are also liable for the personal property tax for that year on the vehicle. don't sound too bad... it isnt if you own 1 or 2.. but if you own 5, its a couple of hundred a yr

Sorry but I beg to differ, you are wrong.

As stated here:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/forms/mv1.pdf

the owner, as described in the first paragraph, thereby establishing ownership, is the name that appears on the title. I believe where you are becoming confused is the interim ownership of the vehicle. Between the seller actually selling the vehicle to a new owner and the new owner registering it. Yes in tha t case the new owner does actually own the property he is in possesion of, in this case that was a period of time beyond that which the bureau determines as sufficient to transfer the vehicle. This title is certainly valid but in the registered name of the person that the last state issued the title to as the registrar, it has never been transferred to Wisconsin. Just as our own personal checks have an expiration date as do pay checks, Income tax returns etc... The bureau has a time period for the transaction, a Lost/ Replacement/ Mutilated Title request would negate that time period and all previous titling. Signing and dating the title without registration does give temporary ownership to the buyer but there are also conditions where you must either file; a junked or inoperable vehicle form, or pay taxes as a property/luxury tax. It can not be left in limbo.

They will run the VIN registration and call the last registered owner. In this case an owner from Indiana. Here to temporary owner can provide a bill of sale to prove ownership but in the case of trouble the registered owner on the title better provide proof of sale or the person who bought it and never registered can say it never happened.

Most of you are still confusing registration with ownership. They are not the same thing. There is no "fine for not registering" a motor vehicle. There is a fine if you are caught driving an unregistered motor vehicle, but not for just buying a vehicle and letting it rest. I have ten or twelve Jeeps here at the moment (please, someone, buy a couple of them!). You don't think I registered all of them the day I bought them, do you? I haven't broken any motor vehicle laws by not registering them. (If I drive one on the street, that's another story.)

Your not driving any of them legally either are you?

Stay focused on the issue. The issue is the TITLE. Registration is not the issue. The fact this other kid was driving an unregistered vehicle is not the issue, and it's better to not mention that. It will only cause confusion.

I believe you are bickering merely over Semantics that deal with the period of time between registrations and getting caught in that time period. The issue is selling of the vehicle by a person who is not the registered owner in that state and retilting by someone from that same state on a title that is registered in another state. Had this been a same state deal I wouldn't have bothered to reply. Stay focused

Pat - CALL THE DMV AND ASK ABOUT A FORM FOR SUPPLEMENTAL TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP. That's what we're talking about here, and it should be as simple as dirt.

The form you quoted in the other post:

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/drivers/forms/dt1435.doc MV2488

is for Federal Vehicle code requirements pertaining to fraudulent statements and verification of mileage and it's transfer not Title transfer. MV1 must still be used for; lost, replacement, mutilation, defacing etc...

This situation is not "simple as dirt"

Yes I am from Pennsylvania as someone in another post suggested. We do have to get most all legal documents notorized. This is because of the same reasons people have been suggesting, so there's legal proof between ownership and sale and so that Registration and Ownership are one.

:popcorn:

Guys, I stand corrected. Wisconsin is not like other states.

I called the Wisconsin DOT and spoke with a gal named Stephanie. It seems in Wisconsin a new buyer is required to obtain a new title immediately after buying the vehicle, even if the buyer doesn't plan to drive the vehicle. No exceptions. I explained to her (sort of) the situation, and she said the only way for "my friend" to sell the MJ to "his friend" is to first get a new title in his own name.

PARTS!