Seat problem

There's a latch at the back/bottom of the seat. Pulling on the lever is supposed to pull the latch over and release the seat. With my 88 I nipped a bit off the end of the latch since it wasn't being pulled over all the way to free it.

I swear I recently saw a fix-it topic on this some where on the web, but for the life of me can't remember where. :(

easy.

slide the seat all the way forward. grab a phillips head screwdriver (or even a flathead)

slide it into the gap between the upper portion of the seat and the lower cushion, and push towards the passenger side while you're holding the forward-tip handle up. should be able to pop the latch, and tilt forward

what happens that causes them to stop working, is that right inside the back portion of the seat on the bottom, a small metal tab bends after use. the latch is cable-operated and the metal tab is what the lower end of it hooks to. bending it back (towards the driver's side I believe) will solve the problem, but pete's way works just as well.

What tatersalad said I'd bet is whats wrong with it. you could use a short piece of wire to jimmy the latch too.. slid the wire between the top and @$$ part of the seat and pull it toward the passengers side.. That lil tab he's talking about is really thin and bends easy..... Hey tater you know a good way to beef that piece up??

I'm almost possitive that there orriginal.

its a 88 pioneen. when i push the knob nothing happens :nuts: theres tension it doesnt just go up and down

Where in relation to the seat is the knob your pulling located? Towards the seat bottom or up by the head rest?

Ok, just making sure they were not from an xj.

Looking at the back you shouldsee this in the middle of the seat between the seat bottom and seat back.

If you pull forward on the seat back you can see the hook. Stick a screw driver in between and pull it towards you. This should release the seat back.

:cheers: