Still leaking OIL

I just did a whole bunch of work on my MJ. It had started leaking oil pretty bad out of the rear seal. Soooo....I pulled the valve cover and oil pan and cleaned both of them out. I cleaned all of the old gasket off of the motor and the pan so I would get a good seal. I put on new rubber gaskets and replaced the rear main seal.

While I was making these improvements i figured I'd go ahead and fix a few more things that I knew were not working correctly. I replaced all of the fuel injectors with new ones from Precision. I also replaced the spark plugs, EGR valve, and all of the vacuum hoses (CCV) from Napa. I topped that off with a new air filter.

Well the leaking has not gotten any better just confined to one place. At least now I'm not leaking oil directly onto my exhaust. However, the oil is getting pulled through the fresh air intake on the valve cover and getting dumped on top of my air filter. I can't figure out why it is still reversing the system. I checked the system at idle and it seems to work correctly...as it is sucking air into the valve cover but something must change when I'm driving.......cause the air filter is full of oil on the back end where the intake line comes into the box.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Thanks,

Ron

I just did a whole bunch of work on my MJ. It had started leaking oil pretty bad out of the rear seal. Soooo....I pulled the valve cover and oil pan and cleaned both of them out. I cleaned all of the old gasket off of the motor and the pan so I would get a good seal. I put on new rubber gaskets and replaced the rear main seal.

While I was making these improvements i figured I'd go ahead and fix a few more things that I knew were not working correctly. I replaced all of the fuel injectors with new ones from Precision. I also replaced the spark plugs, EGR valve, and all of the vacuum hoses (CCV) from Napa. I topped that off with a new air filter.

Well the leaking has not gotten any better just confined to one place. At least now I'm not leaking oil directly onto my exhaust. However, the oil is getting pulled through the fresh air intake on the valve cover and getting dumped on top of my air filter. I can't figure out why it is still reversing the system. I checked the system at idle and it seems to work correctly...as it is sucking air into the valve cover but something must change when I'm driving.......cause the air filter is full of oil on the back end where the intake line comes into the box.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!! Thanks, Ron

It sounds like you're going to have to pull the valve cover off and check the CCV metered hole in the back of the cover. It's probably clogged.

while you've got the valve cover off take both the ccv flange thingy's OFF the valve cover (3 screws each) and clean them out completely

i'd go ahead and replace/clean the elbow fittings as well

I had the valve cover off and the baffles (flange thingys) completely off. They have been cleaned and ALL of the CCV parts (including elbow fittings) were replaced with brand new parts from Napa.

when you replaced the rear main did you use a mopar part or a napa seal?

i used a napa rear main on my moms 95 and it leaked like a seiv afterwards. tried again with a mopar seal and she's dry as a bone now.

a rear main leak will drip from between the inspection cover and the bellhousing.

when you replaced the rear main did you use a mopar part or a napa seal?

i used a napa rear main on my moms 95 and it leaked like a seiv afterwards. tried again with a mopar seal and she's dry as a bone now.

a rear main leak will drip from between the inspection cover and the bellhousing.

I bought an aftermarket seal. Guess we'll see if it holds... but I know where the main oil leak is..... its coming out of the air box and coating the entire underneath of the drivers side of my truck.

Ron and Banshee. Have you guys done a compression test yet? It might be that your rings are just shot and there is no solving the problem. However after going through about 25 threads on the ccv subject I think you guys can do three things.

#1 Ron I bought all my lines and grommets at NAPA too. However I'm still leaking oil out of the rear grommet on the VC, which I suppose is absolutely ruining my vacum to the intake. This might be your problem.

I'm going to try some high temp RTV around the grommet in the back and see if this stops the leak. (The Nappa part might just be crap. Mine said made in China)

#2 You guys can do like Pete did and run a rubber hose from the front of the VC to a "catch container" and then another rubber hose from the catch container to the back of the air box.

#3 About 500 threads ago there is a dicussion on using "Restore" to fill some of the gaps in your cylinder walls and restore some compression in your engine alleviating some of your blowby issues.

Ps: Sorry if I offended any Chinamen.

My thinking is that if all of the CCV stuff has been replaced/cleaned and the problem is no better then the rings are the likely culprit. A compression test [as suggested] should tell that story. The catch bottle is a solution that I have seen several times now too ;) .

(The Nappa part might just be crap. Mine said made in China)
Be careful...probably has lead it in ;) :D

The catch bottle is not a "solution" to their problem. It's just a collection station for recovery of oil errantly diverted beyond it's intended parameters of containment. Granted it does make the oil recycleble and extend the life of the airfilter under bnlow-by situations. However, the actions they have taken to date with negative results is indicative that a money pit problem potentialy exists here which will necessitate the expenditure of more green from the pit to properly resolve (rebuild the sucker) their dilemma.

I don't think the rings are bad......if they were I'd be burning oil, which I am not.

As far as I am concerned I don't want to put a catch bottle in there. I want something that will correct the issue, not help accept it.

Soooo for right now I'm going to swap the valve cover with one from a 99. They do not have the baffles that sink all the way down to the head. We'll see if this does anything to help with the problem and address the issue again if need be.

Thanks,

Ron

Just bought a comanche last Nov. Had the same problem, the little line on the back of the valve cover was plugged, cleaned valve cover, replaced the hose and still leaked. So I pulled the fitting on the intake that the little hose when to and unplugged it and the intake. Hasn't use a drop in three months.

Just bought a comanche last Nov. Had the same problem, the little line on the back of the valve cover was plugged, cleaned valve cover, replaced the hose and still leaked. So I pulled the fitting on the intake that the little hose when to and unplugged it and the intake. Hasn't use a drop in three months.

I pulled and cleaned that fitting too. It did not solve my problem.

Ron

I still think one of your hoses is leaking, vacuum line, maybe at an elbow. I replace one of these at the same time, it was the elbow to the fuel regulator.

cracked and rotted. I would all these rubber lines first, be careful of the hard plastic lines, if it is cold out they break like glass. Also make sure none of these lines are kinked.

• 2 weeks later...
How about the oil return passage in the head? (Maybe blocked)

By the way Ron, let us know if the 99 VC helps at all.

Good luck

I finally got all of the oil leaks fixed and the valve cover is helping a lot. NO MORE OIL IN MY AIR FILTER jamminz.gif

Thanks,

Ron

Did you check the fitting that screws into the intake that the rear line connects too? It could be gunked up not letting any air to pull cc air out.. Another thing is there are those triangle reed valve looking things on the two towers, one has a bend in it, its the one that goes on the back (I think) it could be installed upside down blocking flow out of the vc..... just some ideas..

How about the oil return passage in the head? (Maybe blocked)

By the way Ron, let us know if the 99 VC helps at all.

Good luck

Where is the oil return? When I pull my valve cover to clean it I will check this too (although I do not have the oil in filter problem). What else should I clean out on the head while i have the cover off?

Did you check the fitting that screws into the intake that the rear line connects too? It could be gunked up not letting any air to pull cc air out.. Another thing is there are those triangle reed valve looking things on the two towers, one has a bend in it, its the one that goes on the back (I think) it could be installed upside down blocking flow out of the vc..... just some ideas..

Yes I checked the fitting before the valve cover swap and it was clean. But I swapped it out with the 99 style fitting that is a little larger.

I don't think either of the towers were bent. I could take a photo of mine if you like. But I do know that the new cover doesn't have those towers and I think that's why I was getting oil in my filter.

Ron