GNX XJ....

TNT

This would be a good motor swap. It was done a long time ago. I must have missed it. Turbo engines rock :brows:

Stolen from NAXJA for those who might miss it. :roll:

Here's the link

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=243740319#post243740319

Here's the first post.

Ok, so it looked like crap, it made so much power (360whp) that it suffered from wheel hop, and it sold on ebay July 2007 for $3600usd

Long story short, somebody bought this XJ as a donor for their wrangler. It originally sat in a barn for lord knows how long, and nobody really knew much about it aside from the odd looking engine (for an XJ) and extended front header panel. However, one of the engineers was apprised of the auction, and he chimed in with all the juicy details behind this project:

Quote:

First off, I want to say that I never thought I would see that thing again, and I'm saddened to see the condition. I was part of the engineering team that worked on the GNX program in 85-87. I also worked on the redesign of the engine for the 89 model that appeared in the 30th edition Trans Am. The vehicle you have originally was powered by a crate gnX engine. I'm sure you have read about the lucky 547' that made their way into gnX vehicles, but there were 585 complete gnX engines from ASC after production was complete. 26 of which were crated up by GM and stored. The 12 remaining engines were used by us for future research. In 1988, we had 4 complete engines left, still in the foam. Doug ***** (the owner of the blue cherokee) talked his was into getting one of the engines for himself. Instead of just putting the engine in as its stock form, he decided to dismantle it and add the options we were not allowed to do due to GM power/emissions concerns for the general release. The heads you see on your engine are from the first run 1989 20th edition Trans Am, And they were modified. I do not remember the work done to them. The crank was reworked (I do not remember the specs, but it was cross drilled) but even the stock cranks could handle a LOT of abuse. We did some aggressive cam work, put in a high volume oil pump, we also used flat topped forged pistons. We also put on some very large injectors, and a very over sized fuel pump It took Doug a couple years to perfect the jeep, and when he was done with it, he of course took it to the dyno. It yielded just over 360 HP at the rear wheels. One issue it did have was wheel hop. I'm not sure if he ever put in bars to prevent that or not. In four wheel drive, it was turning 13 second times at the dragway. Oh the history with that jeep. I have photos of the build in my storage facility, I may drive down to get them so you can see what it looked like when we were done with it. But more importantly, I would like to come look at it before you sell it. If this would have popped up for sale 5 or 6 years ago, I would want to purchase it, and restore it. Arthritis has taken its toll on me, and I cannot use my hands like I used to. I'm going to pass this auction on to the others who helped work on it, and hopefully one of them can pick it up. If you get a chance, please call me at 248-851-**** because I would love to come take a look at that beast.

Nice,,, Those guys at NAXJA are a bunch of Richards.. Just think that v6 made 360 at the wheels with a itsy bitsy turbo.. My uncle has a Buick that was one of the first of the GM turbo production cars. I'm about 100% that Garret supplied the spin on it. I don't really like the extended header,but I'd never would have noticed it unless it was pointed out.

jamminz.gifjamminz.gif

Nice,,, Those guys at NAXJA are a bunch of Richards.. :agree:

I glad people don't act like that around here.. Hey that car I was talking about is right beside you in Farmville. My uncle and a guy named Charley own Performance Counts Automotive.

That is nuts. 13 second 1/4 mile, it's the ultimate sleeper.

not the ultimate... i wish i had digital pics of it, cause its sold now, but my boss had an 80s volvo 240 diesel sedan with a 95 or 94 5.0L mustang under the hood. :brows: fuel injected, five speed, 5oh volvo sedan..

(he left the 240 diesel emblems and dumped the dual exhaust just shy of the bumper so it wouldn't be obvious. jamminz.gif