Is there any tricks in quieting our fuel pumps?

When I open my rear slider, the steady drone is almost deafening!

Please advise...

Run on a full tank :laugh:. Rotary vane pumps are always a bit noisy. The ballast resistor was supposed to quiet it down a bit but the best upgrade is going to a turbine style pump. Much quieter and more efficient. Unfortunately the swap can be a bit involved since the discontinuing of the Bosch early XJ pump 

4 minutes ago, ghetdjc320 said:

Run on a full tank :laugh:. Rotary vane pumps are always a bit noisy. The ballast resistor was supposed to quiet it down a bit but the best upgrade is going to a turbine style pump. Much quieter and more efficient. Unfortunately the swap can be a bit involved since the discontinuing of the Bosch early XJ pump 

I do see that RockAuto offers brand new tanks, both SWB and LWB models, so if I go this route, I will replace the tank, its straps, and replace the pump with a turbine style pump... along with a new sock.

7 minutes ago, KANTANKRUS said:

I do see that RockAuto offers brand new tanks, both SWB and LWB models, so if I go this route, I will replace the tank, its straps, and replace the pump with a turbine style pump... along with a new sock.

I believe it was around 93 when the XJ went to a turbine pump. Not a straight swap for an MJ though. You could run an XJ style tank with no baffle and an XJ sending unit but fuel gauge resistance may be an issue. Alternatively, you can modify your existing sending unit and install a newer universal style turbine pump. 

1 minute ago, ghetdjc320 said:

I believe it was around 93 when the XJ went to a turbine pump. Not a straight swap for an MJ though. You could run an XJ style tank with no baffle and an XJ sending unit but fuel gauge resistance may be an issue. Alternatively, you can modify your existing sending unit and install a newer universal style turbine pump. 

OR JUST LIVE WITH IT... all of this sounds INVOLVED!!! I wonder if anyone have ever tried to wrap insullation around the outside of the tank? Or maybe change out the tank with a plastic tank?

I installed a universal pump and used my stock sending unit. It's nice and quiet other than on first turn of the key when it primes. 

Was pretty simple to do as well

1 hour ago, KANTANKRUS said:

OR JUST LIVE WITH IT... all of this sounds INVOLVED!!! I wonder if anyone have ever tried to wrap insullation around the outside of the tank? Or maybe change out the tank with a plastic tank?

I’m wondering if your pump may be in direct contact with the tank :dunno:. I’ve never heard one be that loud. 

19 hours ago, Tex06 said:

I installed a universal pump and used my stock sending unit. It's nice and quiet other than on first turn of the key when it primes. 

Was pretty simple to do as well

Thats great to hear!!!

20 hours ago, TurboedMJ said:

That's crazy, the only time I can hear my fuel pump is when I first turn the key before starting. Didn't know this was an issue. 

I was thinking this too.  I can just hear my pump prime before starting, when driving with the rear window open, even at idle I don't hear the pump.

On 5/9/2024 at 12:55 AM, ghetdjc320 said:

I’m wondering if your pump may be in direct contact with the tank :dunno:. I’ve never heard one be that loud.

My thought as well. The rubber foot at the bottom of the sending unit/ pump assembly on mine was rolling around when I opened up my tank. The fuel return empties out the bottom of the metal tube the rubber foot is installed on. If that rubber isolator/ locator gets dislodged, I could see a lot of vibration/ noise transmitted through the tank.

IMG_6205.JPG.606ecc262c39a4a9f77d046b407780be.JPG