1JTML6515HT115585

996xj

1987 Jeep Comanche 

4.0L AMC, 5 Speed Manual, Floor Shift, Part-Time 4WD

7.0' Bed, D30 & D35, 120" WB

IMG_2332.jpg.c38f29c327039a6fbc182d00f729eb0e.jpg IMG_2333.jpg.2ef9d21c92898d9b83bd2c911ead8bb9.jpg

Hello! My name's Bree and this is my white and blue 1987 Comanche :driving:

I bought the cab from a friend a while back and planned on building a rock bouncer. Coincidentally, found the original bed (and the original owners!) on Marketplace a few months later and, of course, had to pick it up. 

dual.jpg.20bc639bee0b08f8798f0b2e1a9f0788.jpg

jerrr.jpg.9b51282fe965faf9d0d4269e981a99d9.jpg IMG_2336.jpg.2f1e648aae4d8c2936ab995230df8fce.jpg

Another couple of months went by and I found a totaled 98 XJ with 120k on the 4.0 and an AX15. 

IMG_5869.jpg.b3646aaabbb7cf09915f46524647e7b5.jpg

The plan has since changed and is now to fully restore it with a twist. I came across one too many perfect coincidences, and the white and blue trim is just too cool. I'll be keeping the blue interior plastic, door panels, original blue bench seat, and keeping the body completely stock. As for its "guts," I'll be swapping in the dash, wiring/electronics, fuel, accessories, and drivetrain from the '98. 

This past weekend, I completely gutted the '98 and scrapped what I couldn't get rid of. This coming weekend, I'll modify the firewall and test-fit the drivetrain.

If anyone's at all interested in the conversion, I made a dumbed-down to-do list: :rtft:

1. Preparation and Disassembly: Strip the MJ completely, including interior, drivetrain, and accessories. Use labeling, bags, and photos for organization during disassembly.
  2. Sheet Metal Work: Modify the firewall to fit the XJ components. Patch holes, resize openings for the fuse box and steering column, and seal the firewall properly.
  3. Dash Mounting: Fabricate new bolt holes and tabs for mounting the dash. Weld braces onto the firewall for upper dash mounting points and steering column support.
  4. Under Hood Accessories: Move accessories like washer bottle, ECU, cruise control, and wiring harness from XJ to MJ. Install under-hood wire harness, vacuum lines, brake lines, etc.
  5. HVAC Box: Install the HVAC box without the engine in place for easier mounting.
  6. Drivetrain Installation: Drop the drivetrain into place, check motor and transmission mounts, and measure for driveshaft compatibility.
  7. Interior Insulation: Optional. Add insulation to the interior, especially the roof, back of the cab, and floor.
  8. Wiring: Transfer and label wiring harnesses from XJ to MJ. Install bulkhead connectors, route looms, and connect various electrical components.
  9. Interior Reassembly: Install trim, console, bench seat, and other interior components. Modify A-pillar trim if necessary for a proper fit.
  10. Fuel Tank: Install a new tank without a slosh pan, use an adapter ring for the XJ fuel pump, and relocate the charcoal canister for emissions compliance

IMG_2334.jpg.bcc4c5a80fc4771146a8f9387b9fd15f.jpg IMG_7372.jpg.63e249a1e2be50bcb2798ed4598bba8f.jpg

This is how it's currently sitting (minus the steering column & wiring). I'd like to have a more satisfying end to my post but I'm only now getting around to prioritizing the build. I document a lot of my work on my Instagram if anyone is interested in the progress. 

The door label has been lost to time, but I do have the original Vehicle Building Order: 

Building Order

S.png.e69bd107398c12b8d5e32cd3cdad7f79.png

The car's still under the original owner's name. After meeting him and chatting, I filed for a lost title and am getting everything signed over. 

Located on the Columbia between Oregon and Washington. 

Feel free to let me know if you've got questions or advice! I'm always open to chat about my projects :waving:

IMG_2727.jpg

2 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

Nice truck! Be sure to start a build thread on it. @Pete M, this one has a build sheet. 

Thank you! The sheet's a bit moldy (and ripped in half), but still pretty neat. I'll probably scan it tomorrow and update my post with a clearer version of it :L:

1 hour ago, 996xj said:

Thank you! The sheet's a bit moldy (and ripped in half), but still pretty neat. I'll probably scan it tomorrow and update my post with a clearer version of it :L:

That would be great! CC shrinks the size of an image, so it still may not show up great. I tagged Pete because he has an email for the build sheets to be sent to so that we can figure out all of the optional equipment. I think it’s something like comancheclub@hotmail.com, but I don’t remember for sure. 

17 hours ago, 89 MJ said:

That would be great! CC shrinks the size of an image, so it still may not show up great. I tagged Pete because he has an email for the build sheets to be sent to so that we can figure out all of the optional equipment. I think it’s something like comancheclub@hotmail.com, but I don’t remember for sure. 

Oh, that's awesome! I've updated my post, but I'll go ahead and shoot him the originals too :type:

49 minutes ago, 996xj said:

Oh, that's awesome! I've updated my post, but I'll go ahead and shoot him the originals too :type:

Sounds like a plan!

• 2 weeks later...

BODY: JL62

BUILD: 02/25/87

SELLING DEALER: FALORE'S SERRAMONTE CHRYSLER

COLMA, CA

A6 VINYL TRIMMED BUCKET SEATS -Q8 DESCRIPTION NOT AVAILABLE ADL SKID PLATE GROUP
AHL HEAVY DUTY INSULATION GROUP APB WATER FALL TWO TONE PAINT APC CENTER BAND TWO TONE PAINT
BCQ MAINTENANCE FREE BATTERY CBA STRAIGHT BACK BENCH SEAT CGX RR HEAD RESTRAINTS OUTBOARD SEATING
CKA CARPET DDQ 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION ERB 4.0L I6 MPI ENGINE
GAC TINTED GLASS WINDOWS GEC FRONT LEFT SIDE SLIDING WINDOW GFD REAR SLIDING WINDOW
HCC DO NOT USE - SEE HCA JAY DO NOT USE - SEE JP, KA CLASSES JFH TACHOMETER
JGB   JHA VAR INTERMITTENT WINDSHIELD WIPERS JJA CIGAR LIGHTER
LAP SHIFT INDICATOR WARNING LAMP LMA HALOGEN HEADLAMPS MBJ BLACK FRONT BUMPER
MDA FRONT LICENSE PLATE BRACKET NAE CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS NFA 23 GALLON FUEL TANK
PXB   QXG   SBA POWER STEERING
SUA TILT STEERING COLUMN TBG COMPACT SPARE TIRE WJM 15X7.0 CHROME WHEELS
XEA TOW HOOKS