Slime!

mudhound0530

Not only what dfreeman said, but if it's left in there long enough, it starts to corrode and eat away the rim, especially around the bead area. I've had that happen on 2 steel rims that I had bought from a friend that were sitting in his garage for about 3 years. The slime had literally eaten the bead to the point that they would only hold air for a day, and then they were flat again. Very hard to clean off of rims and tires as well.

rode dirt bikes for years(still do) and always worried about flats on the trail far away from civilization.i always carried extra tubes,co2 inflation devices,and tire irons.never once got a flat(although more than once i saved somebodys butt by being there with my stuff to help them with their flat).my friend that worked at the bike shop talked me into putting slime tubes in my tires. the first dual sport ride i went on the front tube failed and put me down hard in some rocks.i had fallen earlier in the day and smashed my left knee pretty good and this dump smashed my other knee.(forgot to pack my knee guards that day).ya ever try to change a tube on a bike in the woods without being able to kneel down to do it?tried sitting back against a tree with the rim in my lap and managed to ruin both of my spare tubes and use up all of my co2 in the process.luckily another rider came along with a tube and a mini 12v compressor that he powered off his bike and helped me get back going.never used anything labelled slime again.

I work at a tire shop and can tell you first hand that i get extremely pissed when people use fix-a-flat or SLIME....THE CRAP DOES NOT WORK...all it does it makes a mess when you pop the bead off and gets all over the place..sometimes we won't even fix the tire b/c of that stuff :headpop:

the auto shop i worked in in ny would only repair a tire with an inside plug/patch combo.his minimum fee for this was 25.00.if the tire was full of fix a flat he charged an extra 10.00 to clean everything up.if the rim was corroded that was an extra 5.00 to grind it down and seal it.he was warned by his insurance company that if he did'nt repair tires by the inside patch method,he would'nt be covered in a lawsuit if a repaired tire failed.the only acceptable repair method recognized by the tire industry and insurance co's is the inside type.if you get a flat and the guy at the local garage just wants to slam a plug in there without taking the tire off the rim to examine it for damage,ask for an inside patch.plugs don't work.

over the years i have probably installed a bazillion tire plugs in customers tires.my honest opinion is that a plug properly installed in a round puncture(nail or screw)in the main tread of the will usually work ok.where the problem comes in is when idiots put plugs in tires that should'nt be repaired(sidewalls or large cuts where they just keep stuffing plugs in the gash till the air stops leaking out).also,a woman customer in a minivan full of kids rolled in to our shop on a soft tire one day and said her husband had plugged it for her yesterday but it still was leaking.when we took the tire off the rim it was full of handfuls of black grindings from being driven flat before her hubby fixed it. in addition,the nail that he pulled out of the tire had almost sliced a hole in the inside sidewall when the pointed end of it rubbed the tire.none of this was apparant to him as he just stuffed in a plug from the outside.she was heading out of town to drop her kids off at a summer camp about 70 miles away.thank goodness that tire decided to leak before she got on the highway. it surely would have put her,her children,and anyone else on the highway in jeopardy when it failed at 70 mph on the interstate. plugs do work but so do lawyers.any shop owner should think twice before using them.if you as a private person choose to use plugs i see no problem.unfortunately,when you run a repair business you are a target for lawsuits.garages have been sued(successfully)for only putting 2 snow tires on a car instead of 4 after some lawyer found out after the crash that the customer was'nt warned by the tire shop not to buy just 2.moral of the story:everything costs a little more in this country because businesses have to cover their butts and protect themselves from frivilous litigation brought on by blood thirsty money grubbin" lawyers.

over the years i have probably installed a bazillion tire plugs in customers tires.my honest opinion is that a plug properly installed in a round puncture(nail or screw)in the main tread of the will usually work ok.where the problem comes in is when idiots put plugs in tires that should'nt be repaired(sidewalls or large cuts where they just keep stuffing plugs in the gash till the air stops leaking out).also,a woman customer in a minivan full of kids rolled in to our shop on a soft tire one day and said her husband had plugged it for her yesterday but it still was leaking.when we took the tire off the rim it was full of handfuls of black grindings from being driven flat before her hubby fixed it. in addition,the nail that he pulled out of the tire had almost sliced a hole in the inside sidewall when the pointed end of it rubbed the tire.none of this was apparant to him as he just stuffed in a plug from the outside.she was heading out of town to drop her kids off at a summer camp about 70 miles away.thank goodness that tire decided to leak before she got on the highway. it surely would have put her,her children,and anyone else on the highway in jeopardy when it failed at 70 mph on the interstate. plugs do work but so do lawyers.any shop owner should think twice before using them.if you as a private person choose to use plugs i see no problem.unfortunately,when you run a repair business you are a target for lawsuits.garages have been sued(successfully)for only putting 2 snow tires on a car instead of 4 after some lawyer found out after the crash that the customer was'nt warned by the tire shop not to buy just 2.moral of the story:everything costs a little more in this country because businesses have to cover their butts and protect themselves from frivilous litigation brought on by blood thirsty money grubbin" lawyers.

Yes, when I got my Ranger last year the one tire and 8 plugs stuck in a hole high on the side wall :eek:

And yes, lawyers love lawsuits :mad:

I use plugs / patches and slime at work ( I'm a schoolbus/everything mechanic) all the time .plugs when properly used work great on allmost anything from mowers to maintnence trucks. slime works good in mowers and such nothing more. and patches are all that get used in the buses period.

my .02 cents

we plug tires (the brown rope type) as long as its a screw or nail. (at the shop)

if its a gash, or multiple wounds i run them down the street to goodyear and let them internally patch it... then mark it up ;)

ya we use the brown rope ones to but i forgot to mention that i also put some of the ruber cement on the plug befor instalation