Options for upgraded head for Renix?

So, if you guys blew your cylinder head and you had a Renix 1989, which cylinder head would you put on if you were enamored by a possible upgraded head?

How's that Edelbrock aluminum head mounting up to a Renix block/intake/exhaust?

How about the 0331 TUPY, same question?

What route would you guys go?

I'll be removing the head this week to see what kind of damage I have (tons of white smoke out the tailpipe--possibly due to a failed radiator cap which my Daughter IGNORED while borrowing my truck).  No water in oil/oil in water that I can detect.  Still runs but it's pretty obvious with the massive cloud formations this thing is putting out that I've got a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head.

Pulled most forward spark plug and I'm seeing what looks like neon green in there.  Neon green as in coolant, I figured.  Didn't even hook up compression test equipment.  Looks like I'm pulling the head. 

If its a cracked head, then I'll be looking at what kind of replacement options I have, hence the question. 

If I ever build a performance 4.0, I’d probably get my 0630 cylinder head (basically the same as a 7120 head found on 91-95 Jeeps) ported and LS valves installed. I’d also run a set of adjustable 1.7 ratio roller rockers. If I needed to buy a head, I’d probably do a ported Edelbrock. 

I would send the head of your choice (except the Edelbrock) to clegg engine for a stage 3 porting job if you're prepared to spend that kind of money. And upgrade to a 99+ intake. You will have to adapt the TPS to the HO throttle body but if you can fabricate it's easy, or you can buy extension sleeves. I have a write up about this in the DIY section. 

Here are some pics on Russ’ work. Far exceeds the finishing standards that most of the big shops are putting out. He’s got all the parts you need as well and his prices can’t be beat. Bishop Buehl Racing is his company name. He puts together diy packages or turn key engines.  Almost pulled the trigger with this recent build but decided against another straight 6 build. 

IMG_2869.jpeg

IMG_2868.jpeg

IMG_2867.jpeg

IMG_2866.jpeg

IMG_2865.jpeg

IMG_2864.jpeg

IMG_2863.jpeg

I do have a Russ Pottenger head. Excellent workmanship.  Also, he can or will CC the head to do what you want. There are +++ and --- for each era of heads. Probably the 603 for you. Also, you'd need to check the availability of the Edelbrock head. I think Russ might have a few left. I have ported 3 4.0L heads. 2 of them are '99 heads. Not near the quality of Russ's though. Also, for some reason around me they won't or don't do bronze guides. I did have some 30 degrees on the intake valves though. I am having 37 degree intakes on some LS heads. I know Russ ports the Tupy Heads. I hear he has gone to some Chinese castings.  

I still want to do one more 4.0L head. Use a Tupy casting. I used Chevy SB valves before. I'd use LS valves. Have the intake 30 degree. 45 on the exhaust. Moldstar 20 for the valve guides. Possibly Moldstar 90 for the seats. I'd use 91-95 HO Melling springs. Port the exhaust as a 'D' port.  Use stock 4.0L spring retainers. This would be running a below .450 lift camshaft. I am running or more like trying to break in a mini stroker with a cam with .450 lift. I'd also be thinking of 9.3 to 9.5 static compression ratio. Trying to run on 87-88 octane. 

Also, I am looking to do a full stroker. KB has a hyper eutectic 'D' or stock type piston out. Not much more than stock pistons. So, I have been thinking of this for a bit. I do have an extra cam, head and a used bock. To many projects right now.