2.5 Fixer Upper (new to Comanches)

Hey guys! I’m happy to say I just recently acquired a dream vehicle since I was kid….a 1986 Comanche! Body is in fairly decent shape but man does it run like ****! Does anybody have any tips and links for Comanches as a whole? In particular I’m looking for diagrams ie vacuum, electrical, sensors, part names etc. Currently the Jeep has the 2.5 with I’m assuming an AX-4 but that’s not confirmed. The problem I’m having is as soon as the clutch starts to grab in first or reverse(the only gears I’ve gotten to use because of the problem) and I give it gas, it stumbles and misfires and falls on its face. And it’s real temperamental as well, is the time the 2 times I’ve driven it, it more often than not stalls because of this but once or twice has been fine. Any insight would be appreciated. I’m no stranger to the XJ, I’ve had 6 and currently have a 96 on tons/40’s and boosted but they’ve all been 4.0’s with AW4’s 96+. Thanks again and I’m excited to join the MJ family! Excuse my GF in the background thinking “what am I looking at”😂

IMG_2090.jpeg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to note that I do in fact know how to drive manual and the misfire is also at idle. I need to start with the basics but I won’t have time to mess with it till this weekend….just trying to feel the waters before I tear into it. Eventually it will be getting the 4.0/AX-15 treatment as well as 4x4.

I don’t know much about the 2.5, but I’d probably throw a cap, rotor, and plugs at it and run some seafoam in the fuel tank to try to clean everything up some. Also make sure you don’t have any vacuum leaks. 
@eaglescout526 might as well have a PhD in the 2.5

3 minutes ago, 89 MJ said:

I don’t know much about the 2.5, but I’d probably throw a cap, rotor, and plugs at it and run some seafoam in the fuel tank to try to clean everything up some. Also make sure you don’t have any vacuum leaks. 
@eaglescout526 might as well have a PhD in the 2.5

Haha well hopefully he has some input. I’ve never had to mess with one and I don’t plan on keeping it but for the time being I’d like it to at least run. I’m pretty positive it has at least one vacuum leak considering it’ll start and high idle for a bit. Unfortunately this one of the deals with wire nuts everywhere and the works haha.

Just now, I_s2k said:

Haha well hopefully he has some input. I’ve never had to mess with one and I don’t plan on keeping it but for the time being I’d like it to at least run. I’m pretty positive it has at least one vacuum leak considering it’ll start and high idle for a bit. Unfortunately this one of the deals with wire nuts everywhere and the works haha.

Ah, it’s a custom wiring job, that’ll be sure to make diagnosis more difficult

Just now, 89 MJ said:

Ah, it’s a custom wiring job, that’ll be sure to make diagnosis more difficult

Yuuuup unfortunately, I can say that the only lights that work on the entire Jeep is the headlights, fuel gauge intermittent, speedo needle is straight down, it’s mess right now. Yaaaay

What a basket case. Can we get some pics of the engine bay? I have a DIY on adjusting the ISA. It is highly recommended to go over cruiser54's tips and get those taken care of as well. 

If I can get some pics, I can help out. But theres a few things that would make it fall flat on its face. Vac leaks, manifolds not being snug to the block, MAP, TPS and or a bad head gasket. 

6 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

What a basket case. Can we get some pics of the engine bay? I have a DIY on adjusting the ISA. It is highly recommended to go over cruiser54's tips and get those taken care of as well. 

If I can get some pics, I can help out. But theres a few things that would make it fall flat on its face. Vac leaks, manifolds not being snug to the block, MAP, TPS and or a bad head gasket. 

Yes I definitely can. Unfortunately I work 4 10’s so I won’t be off till like 5-6 MT time. I do have one on hand currently. And awesome thanks, I was sifting through cruiser54’s page before buying it, will definitely be spending more time there but it’s thought because I feel like the info is more for the 4.0. This is the only pic I have on hand of the engine bay rn.

IMG_1690.jpeg

Would like to note as well that the cat is cut off and does have a slight exhaust leak due to a test pipe being just u-bolted in its place but it’s not like a gaping hole or anything, aside from that I believe everything else is intact.

Make sure the intake manifold is not loose and that the hoses below the throttle body are good.

Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Refresh the ground on the firewall per my Tip 1 at www.cruiser54.com. 

4 cyl TB hoses.jpg

2.5 diag con.jpg

vacuum diagram 4 cylinder TBI.jpg

13 hours ago, I_s2k said:

I need to start with the basics

Very basic, but are you sure its got good gas? It doesnt take long for gas to go bad. Mine sat for a few months before I bought it and had similar issues as youre having. I did a full tune up and most of cruisers tips without much change. Then I drained the tank and refilled with some fuel treatment and its been fine since. 

5 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

Make sure the intake manifold is not loose and that the hoses below the throttle body are good.

Plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Refresh the ground on the firewall per my Tip 1 at www.cruiser54.com. 

4 cyl TB hoses.jpg

2.5 diag con.jpg

vacuum diagram 4 cylinder TBI.jpg

Awesome, I’ll be sure to check that. Very good info on your site as well, thanks for that haha.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wow. Power steering delete all together. Is it a V-belt set up?

Yessir, PO Before the PO deleted the power steering pump and I think put plugs in the gearbox but not confirmed whether or not they’re actually there, I’m just assuming. Yes it has the main drive for alternator, crank, WP, etc. and the accessory drive for power steering.

30 minutes ago, GrandBoost98 said:

Very basic, but are you sure its got good gas? It doesnt take long for gas to go bad. Mine sat for a few months before I bought it and had similar issues as youre having. I did a full tune up and most of cruisers tips without much change. Then I drained the tank and refilled with some fuel treatment and its been fine since. 

It’s very possible and could be contributing to the problem but I just thought it was odd that it does the sputter and miss intermittently, I mean it does it more often than not but a few times it’s ran fine. From what I understand the PO said it’s sat for year, the gas doesn’t smell horrible but I do plan to drain the tank and change the filter this weekend.

I would drain and refill the tank. I had same intermittent problems. Was able to drive up and down my road on a few occasions so I thought I had it good enough to drive to a gas station and it stalled on me about a mile short lol but once I got fresh gas in there, it hasnt given me issues since. Well, not those issues at least 

35 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

I know they existed but I’ve never seen an 84-86 2.5L with no PS pump or brackets. That’s probably factory. PS was an option still. 

If it means anything the comanche is a "custom" trim, do know of anywhere I could get a build sheet to find out what about it is "custom".