Installed a Touchscreen Headunit

Found a nice single din Android head unit for the Comanche. 

Fits nicely, simple to use, has volume knobs, has wireless Apple carplay, and wireless Android Auto. Radio Antenna connects easily and sounds good. Has great sound quality. 

https://www.amazon.com/Single-Wireless-Carplay-Android-Bluetooth/dp/B0CJT47W2W/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=Z7REH4CBSQLX&keywords=single+din+android+head+unit&qid=1701821902&sprefix=single+din+and%2Caps%2C125&sr=8-4#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div

Screenshot_20231227_205251_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231227_205338_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231227_205327_Gallery.jpg

No I didn't have to trim anything....but it is a tight fit. The black trim was slightly shaved/melted  on the bottom edge by whoever owned this before me back in the 1990s to fit a basic single din CD player but like barely shaved.  It's still within the rectangle. A millimeter bigger and I probably would have had to slightly modify the black trim to sit lower. Fits perfect

I've seen a lot of variations of these ~1.25-slot-Din-to-1-slot-Din radios.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CB635ZGL/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CB5DP1J3/

They all seem like clone-zone products of dubious quality sold by alphabet sellers on amazon / ebay / aliexpress. I think I should grab one for a teardown to see what they are really made of. There is no doubt these are tailor made for eastern markets and resold to western markets. Thus, I bet there's no western microcontrollers ADCs, DACs or sound specific ICs. You will not find a Analog Devices Sharc DSP in one of these like you'd find in an established brand. Cloned microcontrollers are likely not going to have DRM enabled either, so ironically, these cloned devices will be more useful than legit ones lol.

Why bother paying to join an electronics consortium when you can clone the designs yourself? I bet these are straight up an espressif esp32's with additional memory and a cloned audio microcontroller. Just look at the photos. Have you ever seen a trapezoidal USB port? :doh:

71tP59TvMTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71HJ1MFh3pL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Yea I looked at those on Amazon, and I went with the one I posted because it was the only one with volume buttons or knob. All of the other single din touchscreens require use of remote control for volume. 

The volume knob was the gamebreaker for me. I wanted to upgrade the technology but also keep it simple since the oem radio had knobs. I always thought the little remote that comes with most aftermarket stereos is stupid.

If one is into knockoffs, all good, but do not expect high quality components inside or studio sound output. These things are adequate to some, and that's totally cool but some of us are not rich enough to buy the cheaper stuff. You really get what you pay for, and about the remotes for the headunits, they come in handy sometimes, like when you're chillin' by the bonfire beside the jeep in the middle of nowhere and you're the DJ...

OP, looks like this fits your needs and does what you need it to, enjoy it and the road ahead :D

The CD player that came with this was an aftermarket "Pop-in" style CD method that dinged like a cassette tape. It didn't suck in the CD like most others. Complete piece of crap haha.

Literally anything was an upgrade from that. Plus this truck is from the 80s with 2 door speakers. Anybody expecting "studio" quality stuff in a vehicle like this living in La La land. Alpine or Kenwood only have the single din with the small LCD screen. I've been driving modern vehicles too much to go back to the traditional CD player that most of us have in our Jeeps. 

Also since this has carplay and Android Auto, it has completely changing my experience in the Jeep since I have manual  trans. It has definitely freed up my hands....and I can do more driving and less messing with my phone. 

long as it has an internal amp. :L:  once upon a time the radio in my KJ died right before a 12 hour drive north so I bought the absolute cheapest head unit I could locate and then learned it wasn't capable of becoming loud enough to be heard on the freeway. :( 

All of the wires from the harness in the Comanche were already cut/spliced when I got it....so I had to bust out the 1988 electrical Renix Bible and look at the radio schematic.

I just spliced the wires, connected with wire nuts, and connected the harness that came with the headunit. I also ran new speaker wires.

On 12/28/2023 at 11:06 AM, MississippiComanche said:

All of the wires from the harness in the Comanche were already cut/spliced when I got it....so I had to bust out the 1988 electrical Renix Bible and look at the radio schematic.

I just spliced the wires, connected with wire nuts, and connected the harness that came with the headunit. I also ran new speaker wires.

How did you mount the existing bracket to the head unit? I’m currently trying to figure out a way to do it but nothing is lining up.

• 3 weeks later...