Radiator gave up the ghost

So yesterday I went to get emissions done and right as I pull into the bay smoke and fluid spewing. So I park it let it cool off and then drove home. Driving home never got above 190 (I have a REM) no fluid spewing out, smoke or issues. I'm not surprised because when I was doing the headlight relay saw a pin hole in the rad so knew it was only a matter of time. So I'm at this point where I need a quick fix to at least get emissions done and then will do a proper repair. My questions is.....

For the quick fix can I just JB weld the hole to at least get emissions done? Need to be done before the end of the month and unlikely I'll get the entire system replaced by then. Worst case I don't and pay a late reg fee. So if it's not worth the band aid fix I'm fine with waiting. 

For the new system I'd like to convert to a open one and do some other little items. 

Here's my current part list but open to suggestions/corrections. 

Rad: SPECTRA PREMIUM CU1193

Rad cap:  MOTORAD ST13

Thermostat housing: MOTORAD CH5180

Thermostat: MOTORAD 7200195

Water pump: DAYCO DP589 (Do I need one for a renix or? This is for a HO)

Coolant overflow: DORMAN 603305

Belt: CONTINENTAL 4061025

Anything else?

42 minutes ago, jdog said:

Where is it leaking at, any pictures? Why are you swapping the water pump and thermostat?

No pic but it's in upper driver side. Figured it hasn't been done in my 6 years of ownership and might as well overhaul it all. 

Epoxy fixes are a legitimate permanent repair for damage from a rock strike or something. If it’s due to corrosion from the inside of the rad it may not last.

That said, swapping a radiator is less than an hour’s job.

The only real advantage to changing out other components is you won’t need to drain and refill the coolant later. The more wrenching I do the less I want to touch things that don’t presently have an issue. 

5 hours ago, gogmorgo said:

The more wrenching I do the less I want to touch things that don’t presently have an issue. 

Very true, is it where the plastic meets the fins?

17 hours ago, Smokeyyank said:

No pic but it's in upper driver side. Figured it hasn't been done in my 6 years of ownership and might as well overhaul it all. 

My a/c condenser on my first MJ wasn’t bolted down correctly when I bought it, and eventually it punched a hole in the rad, upper driver’s side, if we’re guessing at damage. Didn’t figure that one out until I was putting the new radiator in. 
And that job was still one of the easiest things I did when I was first wrenching on things. It went so smoothly I was suspicious of it for years afterwards. 
The only thing to watch out for, if you have an automatic, is to make sure the trans cooler lines don’t twist on you when you’re removing them from the rad. 

51 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

The only thing to watch out for, if you have an automatic, is to make sure the trans cooler lines don’t twist on you when you’re removing them from the rad. 

He's 100% right! Previous owner was careless and left me a mangled mess. Luckily these lines are still available. Thank goodness! :bowdown:

P2730411c.JPG

P2730424.JPG