86' AMC Comanche XLS HD

Picked up this beauty recently.

2.5l manual long bed metric ton. (4x4 of course)

It has been without plates the last 23y.

The seller had changed engine in a other 2.5l and had all the know about, so he collected everything needed to do the swaap in this one as well, but never had the chance to start the project (again).

So it came with a looot of parts:

1x 4l ho, 1x 4l renix, 3x aw4, 2x np242, 3 pairs of axles, 2 sets of rear lights, new fule tank, stainless 4l heders, alot of new parts and a massive amount of used parts.

I was afraid the rust would have eaten most of it, but to my surprise it seems to be in surprisingly good shape rust wise.

There is some rust in floor panels and in the back of the cabin but box wise it looks good!

The seller should have his fair credit for that the condition didn't get worse the time it has been sleeping, he actually sprayed the whole underside with oil before storing it!

It still sits on my trailer, so I am really curious to get it into my garage to get a closer look!

20231006_155346.JPG

20231006_155355.JPG

20231006_155408.JPG

20231006_155415.JPG

20231006_155420.JPG

My plan is first of all to get a good status, then:

- Weld up what ever I find of rust.

- Putting back what ever is missing.

- Change fluids, including gas and check tank

- install a battery

- turn the key

Depending what happens next..

Check brakes, lights, so on..

As far as I know the car doesn't have more than 100k, so I am planning to keep her with the 2.5l for some time.

Anything in particular I should have a closer look at when I'm getting closer to the turn around the key point?

I love the stickers!

No paint job as long as I own it!

And I tend to keep my jeep's for a long time 😅

Luckily the white shouldn't be to hard to copy. Wonder if I'm able to find the actual colour code. Not that it probably matters after 37 year's 😆

28 minutes ago, eaglescout526 said:

Wow, a Comanche four wheeler of the year sticker!

As for the 2.5L to swap, is it the MPFI or just the TBI?

According to the vin (h) it's a TBI. I don't think the 2.5 came with MPFI?

If or when I'm doing the swap it wil be a full ho wire cluster swap. 

My biggest concern for the swap it actually the rear shaft length. I suppose it's only mj shafts that fits and that I need to have one made up.

13 minutes ago, NorJeep said:

I don't think the 2.5 came with MPFI?

HO years, 91-00. Not common either but it seems Renix 2.5L's are more commonly found and scrapped than the MPFI set up which is an upgrade(if you want to work with the HO system) if you can find a donor XJ that has it all.

23 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

HO years, 91-00. Not common either but it seems Renix 2.5L's are more commonly found and scrapped than the MPFI set up which is an upgrade(if you want to work with the HO system) if you can find a donor XJ that has it all.

It came with a 4l ho so I actually have everything I need for the rebuild except the rear center shaft (or what ever it's called 😆

Heck yeah. Good save. This truck is awesome. Hurry up and get her on the road! 23 years of time to make up for. Keep posting! Would love to see some interior and engine bay pictures, And some pictures of “the loot” any extra rear D44s? 2, 242s is a good come up too. 

You may want to remove the fuel pump or entire gas tank depending on how much gas has been sitting in the tank for 20+ years. Usually pretty easy to remove just the pump in my experience, then you can have a look into the tank to assess the next move. Good luck 

16 hours ago, WranglerMangler said:

Heck yeah. Good save. This truck is awesome. Hurry up and get her on the road! 23 years of time to make up for. Keep posting! Would love to see some interior and engine bay pictures, And some pictures of “the loot” any extra rear D44s? 2, 242s is a good come up too. 

You may want to remove the fuel pump or entire gas tank depending on how much gas has been sitting in the tank for 20+ years. Usually pretty easy to remove just the pump in my experience, then you can have a look into the tank to assess the next move. Good luck 

Picture's coming soon! 

From what I could see they where all d35s and d30, coming from various XJs.

I didn't have much time picking it all up before I went away for work. So i haven't even had the time to study the truck after I got it home.

Thanks for the tip about checking the fuel tank! I will add it to my list. 

9 minutes ago, Drahcir495 said:

And the roll bar :banana:. I don’t see the sticker? I zoomed in and saw the marker lights in the fenders - very cool. Awesome save :L:

Sticker on the back window, that also opens, love that detail as well.

Those marker lights are actually done by the dealer that imported the truck (as new) to get it to pass EU inspection recruitments.

Same on the back fenders under the lights (red direction indicator lights wasn't approved, so they needed to install orange lights instead 🤯)

I love it, my first jeep had the same interior.

Most should be there.

The padal assembly for the parking brake is not there, did any of the xjs come with this?

Seat undercarriage is also missing from at least one side. I understood it was special for mj pre 87? Or was it the same in xj?

1 hour ago, NorJeep said:

I love it, my first jeep had the same interior.

Most should be there.

The padal assembly for the parking brake is not there, did any of the xjs come with this?

Seat undercarriage is also missing from at least one side. I understood it was special for mj pre 87? Or was it the same in xj?

MJs had the pedal, XJs had a handbrake

On 11/6/2023 at 2:56 PM, Kjell said:

Hi NorJeep . Where in Norway are you located? There may be some parts available across the border:L: check out jeep Comanche Norden  facebook.

Vennlig hilsen fra Sverige.

South, thanks I will check the FB page.