FOUND: Chime Module ~ Blue

White_Comanche

After doing some research on CC I believe I should be after a Blue Chime Module. I'm getting tired of forgetting that my headlights are on. This image is not from me, I borrowed it from our forums.

The Chime Module in my 86 has never worked. It was a black one. I pulled it today and checked for voltage at pin 1... nothing. Unless my procedure for checking voltage was wrong...

The fuses associated with it are all ok. The female chime connector looks clean too.

Guess I'll try a different module if I can find one.

1327745525_BlueChimeModule.jpeg.6f51a45381a919480b34e4662f8b03e5.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Whitaker717 said:

You mean there is actually a chime that tells you your headlights are left in? Where have I been. Lol. I need one. 

Yes! Theres two versions. One is a buzzer and the other is what I call the upper class reminder that you can get from the waggys. It chimes vs buzzes like GMs of the era. Also ZJs and GM vehicles use the same style chimes. GM has a black box and probably a blue box that chimes like the SJ's and XJW's and the ZJ one is a bit more updated sounding. Granted the ZJ one has 8 prongs vs the 7 of the older chime modules but I am sure a little reconfigure of the chime plug will get all the warnings working. I actually have a black GM one that I am sure works but I just don't know if it has the wiring in the same place as the Jeeps. I imagine it does as the blue chime modules in the SJ and XJW are made by the same company as the black GM one I have. 

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yes! Theres two versions. One is a buzzer and the other is what I call the upper class reminder that you can get from the waggys. It chimes vs buzzes like GMs of the era. Also ZJs and GM vehicles use the same style chimes. GM has a black box and probably a blue box that chimes like the SJ's and XJW's and the ZJ one is a bit more updated sounding. Granted the ZJ one has 8 prongs vs the 7 of the older chime modules but I am sure a little reconfigure of the chime plug will get all the warnings working. I actually have a black GM one that I am sure works but I just don't know if it has the wiring in the same place as the Jeeps. I imagine it does as the blue chime modules in the SJ and XJW are made by the same company as the black GM one I have. 

I reached out to Kody. I learn something everyday about this truck. Lol

I have quite a bit of experience with buzzer/chime modules.

Regular Cherokees (XJ/MJ) were available with either the blue or black warning buzzers.  They are easy to bench test with a 12v power supply, or small jumper wires attached to a battery.

The XJ Wagoneers did use a blue chime module with an extra power lead coming off of it that plugs into one of the power ports in the fuse box.  These are often cited as an upgrade to a more pleasant sounding chime.  I have a couple of them, and they don't work correctly in my 91 XJ or 91 MJ.  Maybe they are faulty?  All my research shows they are wired the same.

Chevrolet/GM products have a bunch of different buzzers/chime modules over the years.  There is one particular chime module (14101255) that is very popular with owners of 88-98 Chevy trucks.  Those years use a warning module with a "constant tone".  Think- "EEEEEEEEEE".  They can be replaced with 14101255 for a pleasant chime tone- "ding--ding--ding".  They are a direct swap.

I've tried to adapt a 14101255 to the XJ/MJ.  The functions are wired so differently that they can't be interchanged.

The ZJs used a chime module that looks like a 14101255 but instead of being brown, they are a burgundy/purple color.  They are often listed as applicable to XJs in many Jeep parts vendors websites.  I got one for testing.  It did not work in the XJ/MJ.  Or, I should say it worked for one function, they key-in ignition warning I think, but that was it.  No seat belt warning, no headlight warning.  

Some Dodge Dakotas use a yellow buzzer that looks just like the Jeep black/blue buzzers.  It is wired completely different and doesn't interchange.

Below is a screenshot of the electrical manual info on the buzzer. 

Also my own diagram.  When testing the seat belt warning, apply 12 volts to only the far right, upper terminal as shown in the picture.  Then apply a ground to the far left, upper terminal.  The buzzer will sound for as long as you maintain the connection.  Then, without removing the ground connection to the far left terminal, slide it over so it touches the second terminal at the same time.  This starts the timer, and the buzzer will shut off in about 5-10 seconds.

To test the key-in and headlight warning functions, ground the lower right terminal.  Touch power to the far left terminal (blue box) and the headlight warning buzzer will sound.  Touch the next terminal with ground, the key-in buzzer will sound. 

XJ MJ chime buzzer operation.png

XJ buzzer pinout wiring.jpg

I generally have these buzzers available. Currently, I have one blue buzzer.  I ask $20 + shipping for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234544224522?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bpFa1QANQb2&sssrc=2380676&ssuid=bpFa1QANQb2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I have two black buzzers, and ask $15 + shipping for them.  Tested and work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334147526703?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bpFa1QANQb2&sssrc=2380676&ssuid=bpFa1QANQb2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I also have an XJ Wagoneer chime, 56001347.  I checked my notes, and it works for the seatbelt warning function, but not the others.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234833513360?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bpFa1QANQb2&sssrc=2380676&ssuid=bpFa1QANQb2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Here is a link to the Chevy 14101255, if you are interested in checking out how they sound. Not compatible with Jeeps.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334264102999?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=bpFa1QANQb2&sssrc=2380676&ssuid=bpFa1QANQb2&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

1 minute ago, eaglescout526 said:

Yes and it only did the key in. I think on the fuse block the wires could probably be rearranged to have this unit work.

Good to hear someone had the same experience.  It's been a long time since I messed with this one, I think I searched for a pinout, but can't remember if I ever found one.  I probably have notes on it somewhere.

58 minutes ago, schardein said:

I have quite a bit of experience with buzzer/chime modules.

Thanks for posting what you have available on eBay. Eaglescout got in touch earlier and is sending me a blue buzzer.

It's been a busy week and I see this thread is quite busy. I have intention of reading everything in detail when the day starts to close.

Thanks guys for all the help!

33 minutes ago, acfortier said:

Heh, mine started buzzing constantly when the key would be removed from the ignition, even when it was set to off. Not sure if that means the chime itself went bad, or if I have another issue...

Did you try jiggling the key tumbler after the key was removed?  I've seen some old steering columns that were worn, to the point that when the key was switched off, the ignition switch (the actual switch on top of the column) would still be in the "on" position and drain the battery dead- even though the key was "thought" to be in the off position.  A similar situation could cause the "key-in" switch in the column to remain on.

2 minutes ago, schardein said:

Did you try jiggling the key tumbler after the key was removed?  I've seen some old steering columns that were worn, to the point that when the key was switched off, the ignition switch (the actual switch on top of the column) would still be in the "on" position and drain the battery dead- even though the key was "thought" to be in the off position.  A similar situation could cause the "key-in" switch in the column to remain on.

I think I did, but I'll mess with again next time I'm working on it. It has been disconnected for now... lol

• White_Comanche changed the title to FOUND: Chime Module ~ Blue